From: Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: rename missing in Text_IO
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 13:16:07 GMT
Date: 2001-05-10T13:16:07+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <fy73daefabm.fsf@blancolioni.org>, Fraser Wilson says...
>The problem is that a rename or move on the same disk is significantly
>cheaper than one that crosses disks.  It's also a much safer
>operation.  I think the implementation detail line is quite fuzzy
>here.
>
>More generally, the destination might not even be a disk filesystem;
>it could be a remote ftp site or /proc on Linux.  Does a move/rename
>even make sense in those cases?

I think its probably OK to leave that on the user's head. After all, they're the
one who *asked* for a move to that location. We already have a similar issue
with Open. It may or may not work if another program or another task has already
opened the file (and it may depend on the mode they opened it with). All that is
OS dependant. Also, the user could try to Create a file on "/proc" as it stands
today, so "Move" would introduce no new issues there either. The fact is that
the user of file I/O operations already has to understand a fair bit about their
OS to have any hope of it working properly.

---