From: "Vladimir Olensky" <vladimir_olensky@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Computer Programming for Everybody?
Date: 1999/09/11
Date: 1999-09-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Ted Dennison wrote in message <7rbkm4$pn6$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>Today I came across a proposal that got DARPA funding for an initiative
>to teach *all* elementary-schoolers to program just like they are all
>taught geometry. Its an interesting concept, which does have some merit.
>
>The language that they propose to teach the kiddies is ...wait for it...
>python.

>Any way, I'm curious what the instructors here think of this. Do you
>think Python might really be a better choice for grade-schoolers? Am I
>overreacting here?

I think it is much better choice than MS BASIC.

I always was rather negative  towards scripting languages.
I started to hate Perl when found that  HP OpenView 6 uses
Perl  to automate OV tasks.

But when I tried Python some time ago I changed my mind.
It implements all modern programming concepts including
modules (as in M2 and M3), OO, exceptions, strong typing,
sequence data type such as lists, tuples, dictionaries.
It runs almost on all platforms.
It has access to all the APIs of underlying OS.
A lot of ready to use modules (incredible number).
It is very good for quick prototyping and writing quick small test scripts.
It is very easy to learn .
It has very good tutorials and reference manuals.

But what is more important it works as intellectual shell.
Lack of good shell was always very very big problem for MS Windows
and in less extent for Unix.
OS/2 with it's REXX was an exception.

You start Python,  load needed module/s and you
have needed level of automation within OS.
It is very good choice for IT departments to perform automated tasks.

It is very easy and enjoyable to work with Python.

Children better grasp ideas when  they may be checked in few
seconds without any mental strain.
When you try to force children to strain themselves to learn something
it may result that they will  hate that something.
It is obvious that good scripting language should be used for teaching.

So I do not think that Python  is a very bad choice.

Regards.

P.S.
Some time ago I posted a message asking about availability
of C_to_Ada translation utility written completely in Ada.
Existing  C2Ada  requires Python and GPERF.
This  C2Ada tool forced me to install Python and  have a close look at it.

If you ask that people why they have chosen Python and not Ada
they may ask you in turn why to convert C code to Ada you need
to use Python and GPERF written in C instead of using pure Ada program :-)