* Performance problem between SAMBA and Gnat
@ 2002-09-13 14:39 BAILLET philippe
From: BAILLET philippe @ 2002-09-13 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have performance problems when i compile ADA files on NT 4.0 with
the Gnat compiler when the files are located on a SAMBA UNIX
Filesystem. Certainly the most time is spend in the checking phase.

Could you help me ?

* Re: Performance problem between SAMBA and Gnat
@ 2002-09-13 16:03 ` Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
From: Warren W. Gay VE3WWG @ 2002-09-13 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

BAILLET philippe wrote:
> I have performance problems when i compile ADA files on NT 4.0 with
> the Gnat compiler when the files are located on a SAMBA UNIX
> Filesystem. Certainly the most time is spend in the checking phase.
>
> Could you help me ?

You havn't provided enough information.

   1. Where is the compiler? On Linux? Or on NT?
   2. Where are the source files really? (see below)

There seems to be a discrepancy: first you say "Ada files on NT"
and later you say the files are located on "SAMBA UNIX filesystem."
Where are the Ada files really?

If you have NFS access, how do the file access times compare with
NFS?

I can't help anyway, but can offer you my own observations, using
SAMBA:

  - From Windows 98, accessing files on FreeBSD SAMBA is reasonable
    (a little slower than NFS)
  - From Windows 2000, accessing files on FreeBSD SAMBA can be
    dreadfully slow (there seems to be an authentication timeout
    occurring -- once past this, the times are comparable to win98).

I may have win2k configuration problems WRT to SAMBA.

But I suggest that to get better help, you need to be much more
concise, and fully state the problem.

--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg

* Re: Performance problem between SAMBA and Gnat
@ 2002-09-13 21:02 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-09-13 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

philippe.baillet@thales-avionics.com (BAILLET philippe) writes:

> I have performance problems when i compile ADA files on NT 4.0 with
> the Gnat compiler when the files are located on a SAMBA UNIX
> Filesystem. Certainly the most time is spend in the checking phase.
>
> Could you help me ?

Use CVS (or another source management tool) to get copies local to the
same machine that has the compiler executables.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Performance problem between SAMBA and Gnat
@ 2002-09-14 15:20 ` Per Sandbergs
From: Per Sandbergs @ 2002-09-14 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Keeping sources on network drives often incresaes compilation times with a
factor of 3 or more regardles of operating-system.
So my recomendation wold be use a version control tool such as CVS to
manitain a repository that is backed up and work on your local hard-drive
(commit changes on a regular basis).

/Per