From: "Vladimir Olensky" <vladimir_olensky@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Project structure with Gnat
Date: 1999/08/05
Date: 1999-08-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

David C. Hoos, Sr. wrote in message ...

>Vladimir Olensky <vladimir_olensky@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
><snip>

>I do not understand the above comment. The AdaGIDE
>Tools => "GNAT Options in Current Directory" menu selection has a
>Target Directory option which does just that.  It seems completely simple
>me.

Sorry, here I just  missed that new versions of AdaGide can specify target
directory.
This feature of AdaGide is very handy indeed.
It somewhat compensates lack of useful switches in GNAT.
And again it is done by redirecting all GNAT output to the specified
directory which you should create manually.
As a result you can not specify different directories for different output
file types.

On the other hand  if you use some other nice tools (e.g GRASP)  that
completely rely on compiler&linker switches you can not do this on the fly.

>> Tucker Tuft once said something like that :  "it is better to use
language
>> than to struggle with it".
>> It is not good when  system does not help to use itself but rather
provoke
>> for struggle (using some workarounds).
>> Here again we see the difference between highly successful commercial
>> systems (e.g. Delphi, MSVS) and some others in their approach to user
>needs.
>> Anything that makes life of user more easy helps to succeed.
>> Anything that annoys user does not help to succeed.
>> People in general are very sensitive to small annoying inconveniences.
>> Of course it is easy to blame people for that but it leads nowhere in
>> general.

>Perhaps if people paid the same price for GNAT/AdaGIDE as for Delphi, MSVS,
>it would be justified to complain.

I think here we come back to the eternal question: what was the first - hen
or egg.
As usual some people think that first was hen and only than was egg , others
think just contrary.
In this particular area first was products that make life easier and then
people began to pay money for what they find convenient and useful but not
vise versa. Sometimes people pay for expectations.

So there was no complains.  Gautier suggested that it would be nice  to have
switches  to redirect output instead of using some workarounds and he got
response that he would better set up things properly.
If Delphi and MSVS product mangers reacted in the same way to user needs I
doubt these products would succeed.

Imagine that you checked in  a room in a hotel and found that there is no
soap in the bathroom. You ask hotel manager why there is no soap in the
bathroom and get the answer that this is very trivial for you to buy it in
the shop next door to the hotel. Would you be happy ?

Regards.