From: "Peter Hend�n" <phenden@tdab.com>
Subject: Re: Perhaps a daft Ada Port question?
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 09:19:19 GMT
Date: 2001-05-03T09:19:19+00:00	[thread overview]

"Marin David Condic" wrote:
> This comes circuitously from another thread in this newsgroup. The PDP-10
> was mentioned and discussed at some length. A claim was made that an Ada
> compiler was being worked on for the PDP-10. Probably true enough as far
as
> it goes - just not of much interest since a) there aren't a lot of those
> machines still in use and b) the compiler is most likely not going to end
up
> widely distributed - if it ever gets completed.
There are a few around - not the original, however. The hardware
implementations available (XKL) are mostly used to run legacy apps.
There are also (at least) 2 emulators around. These are mostly used
by hobbyists, and outperform the original (last) PDP-10 on standard
Intel hardware (500 MHz Pentiums). More on this on alt.sys.pdp10.

In the early 80s there were Ada projects underway for the PDP-10.
I even made my own attempt - lexer, parser and bits and pieces of
code generation. Generics and elaboration issues made me realise
I was in way over my head. The termination of the "jupiter" project
(a bigger, faster PDP-10) at Digital terminated any serious Ada
projects. I guess some of those efforts ended up in Vax Ada, but
then I wouldn't know.

Regards,
Peter Hend�n