* Ada install problem winxp
@ 2005-10-17  5:09 Randy
From: Randy @ 2005-10-17  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am not sure what is going on with Ada.  I had 3.15p on at one time
then I tried to install the new version and ever since I get an error
trying to install either the new version or even the older 3.15p.  It
starts with
	Internal Failure error number:0x80040707
you hit ok and it does it again. hit ok then it goes like it is going to
install then after you click yes to agree to the agreement (that doesn't
show up) it says
	unhandled exception error number :0x80040706 description: object
reference not set  setup will now terminate.
and it does.
I would think that something is wrong with my windows but I have no idea
what to look for.  Any advice/help?
Thanks
Randy

* Re: Ada install problem winxp
@ 2005-10-17  6:24 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2005-10-17  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy,

> I am not sure what is going on with Ada.  I had 3.15p on at one time
> then I tried to install the new version and ever since I get an error
> trying to install either the new version or even the older 3.15p.  It
> starts with
>     Internal Failure error number:0x80040707
> you hit ok and it does it again. hit ok then it goes like it is going to
> install then after you click yes to agree to the agreement (that doesn't
> show up) it says
>     unhandled exception error number :0x80040706 description: object
> reference not set  setup will now terminate.
> and it does.

If you have an anti-virus software, try removing it.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: Ada install problem winxp
@ 2005-10-17 19:22 ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2005-10-17 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy wrote:
> I am not sure what is going on with Ada.  I had 3.15p on at one time
> then I tried to install the new version and ever since I get an error
> trying to install either the new version or even the older 3.15p.  It
> starts with

Lots of things are going on with Ada, but this isn't one of them. You're having
a problem with GNAT, not Ada.

--
Jeff Carter
"I wave my private parts at your aunties."

* Re: Ada install problem winxp
@ 2005-10-17 20:52   ` Randy
From: Randy @ 2005-10-17 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey R. Carter wrote:
> Randy wrote:
>
>> I am not sure what is going on with Ada.  I had 3.15p on at one time
>> then I tried to install the new version and ever since I get an error
>> trying to install either the new version or even the older 3.15p.  It
>> starts with
>

> Lots of things are going on with Ada, but this isn't one of them. You're
> having a problem with GNAT, not Ada.

OK GNAT then.
I realize that I am installing it and not using it.
What I am asking is what I don't know, why I am getting these errors.
I even would go so far as to say that something in windows is doing it.
If anyone may have an idea what it is, I would be thankful for the help.

* Re: Ada install problem winxp
@ 2005-10-17 20:53   ` Randy
From: Randy @ 2005-10-17 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If you have an anti-virus software, try removing it.
>
> Pascal.

No anti-virus software.

* Re: Ada install problem winxp
@ 2005-10-18  8:32     ` Adrien Plisson
From: Adrien Plisson @ 2005-10-18  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy wrote:
> What I am asking is what I don't know, why I am getting these errors.
> I even would go so far as to say that something in windows is doing it.
> If anyone may have an idea what it is, I would be thankful for the help.

GNAT 3.15p installer on Windows seems build with InstallShield.

It seems to be an error that propagates from an ActiveX control
(InstallShield uses a lot of ActiveX controls... the installer engine
itself is an ActiveX control).

unfortunately, the error code won't help. (i don't want to go into
details of the structure of windows error code) they are from
FACILITY_ITF, which is an interface specific class of code. so the
real meaning depends on the ActiveX control which generated the error.

i had a similar problem once with an IntallShield installer, it was
due to access rights and system policy, so check that first. the
InstallShield website had a great section on problems with installers
which helped me a lot, try it too (if it still exists).

or maybe the error does not come from the installer...

--
rien

* Re: Ada install problem winxp
@ 2005-10-18 10:19       ` Stephane Riviere
From: Stephane Riviere @ 2005-10-18 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Try AIDE for Windows...

Blast install, everything ready to use, tons of docs, doc generator,
true unix shell (minGW), emacs and GPS included. Even GtkAda, OpenGL,
and more fully ready... GNAT 3.15p based. Used daily for training and
software prod. Free distro and, of course,  GMGPL runtime (freely
usuable for business).

http://stephane.rochebrune.org

--
Stephane Riviere