* Re: Any RPC for Ada?
@ 1992-09-28 21:44 Bob Kitzberger
From: Bob Kitzberger @ 1992-09-28 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

bortz@CNAM.CNAM.FR writes:

>I'm looking for any information/pointers about implementations of RPC
>(Remote Procedure Call) in/for Ada. I'm specially interested in Unix solutions
.

TeleSoft has an RPC implementation for both Unix systems and embedded
targets.  It is interoperable with Sun's implementation, as far as I know.
It's part of a larger networking toolset called TeleAda-LAN, and includes
XDR, socket interface, etc.

Call Gary Cato, +1 619 457-2700 (gec@telesoft.com).

Give my regards to the Musee d'Orsay,

	.Bob.
----------------
Bob Kitzberger          VisiCom Laboratories, Inc.
rlk@visicom.com         10052 Mesa Ridge Court, San Diego CA 92121 USA
                        +1 619 457 2111    FAX +1 619 457 0888

* Re: Any RPC for Ada?
@ 1992-10-09 11:18 Stephane Bortzmeyer
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer @ 1992-10-09 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <199209281909.AA03969@cnam.cnam.fr>, bortz@CNAM.CNAM.FR writes:
> I'm looking for any information/pointers about implementations of RPC
> (Remote Procedure Call) in/for Ada. I'm specially interested in Unix
> solutions.

Thanks for all those who replied. I got two free packages for my two
queries: one RPC to interoperate with existing C RPC programs and one
completely new and purely Ada. Here is a summary:

David Emery <emery@d74sun.mitre.org> sent me a short set of packages
("no warranty") to interface Ada with Sun's RPC (also called ONC) for
the Verdix compiler (but it should be easily adapted). This is a rather
thin binding. It seems to be able to interoperate with C programs.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able yet to compile it. May be Verdix changed
the appendix F?

Steve Case <scase@planet8.sp.unisys.com> developed an Ada interface to
XDR, Sun's library to deal with data format problems, a layer under the
RPC. I didn't test it. There is another XDR binding with the previous software.

Karl A. Nyberg <karl@grebyn.com> and William M. Hodges
<hodges@stars.boeing.com> pointed me toward SA-E's RPC, a free toolkit
to write RPC with Ada. I didn't try it yet, but it's well documented.

and, as you saw on this newsgroup, Bob Kitzberger <rlk@VisiCom.COM>
indicated that TeleSoft has an implementation of RPC. I don't know yet
if it can interoperate with programs written with other languages/compilers.

Time to launch another thread: should an Ada RPC be compliant with
existing RPCs (and, in this case, should it be implemented by a binding
or a rewriting?) or should it be a completely new system?

Stephane Bortzmeyer           Conservatoire National des Arts et Metiers

bortzmeyer@cnam.cnam.fr       Laboratoire d'Informatique
                              292, rue Saint-Martin
tel: +33 (1) 40 27 27 31      75141 Paris Cedex 03
fax: +33 (1) 40 27 27 72      France

"C'est la nuit qu'il est beau de croire a la lumiere." E. Rostand