* Re: Kylix (delphi for Linux), a good Ada alternative for GUI application on Linu
@ 2001-07-30 21:30 Gautier Write-only-address
From: Gautier Write-only-address @ 2001-07-30 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

> > I found Kylix (delphi for linux) to be very similar to Ada.
> > It has units
> > (like ada packages),

>It completely ignores all elaboration issues, IIRC.  Handling them is
>up to the programmer, and there isn't any help from the language
>implementation.

Another important difference is that the "uses" clauses hide similar
entries from the used units as they come; in Ada it becomes an
ambiguity and the compiler requires to make the reference explicit.
E.g. if you have a variable integer X in interface (spec.) of units
A and B, "uses A,B" will have a completely different effect than
"uses B,A". One could cite a lot of such quirks, but the main reason
is that all features have been added to a tiny 16-bit compiler
(Turbo Pascal) written in assembler and with a lot of limitations.
Even for RAD I would not let the Object Pascal part of a project
grow more than the strict minimum.
Gautier -- http://www.diax.ch/users/gdm/

NB: Do not answer to sender address, visit the Web site!
Ne r�pondez pas � l'exp�diteur, visitez le site ouaibe!

* Re: Kylix (delphi for Linux), a good Ada alternative for GUI application on Linu
@ 2001-08-02 20:35 ` Barry Kelly
From: Barry Kelly @ 2001-08-02 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.996528745.1718.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
	"Gautier Write-only-address" <gautier_niouzes@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > I found Kylix (delphi for linux) to be very similar to Ada.
> > > It has units
> > > (like ada packages),
>
> >It completely ignores all elaboration issues, IIRC.  Handling them is
> >up to the programmer, and there isn't any help from the language
> >implementation.
>
> Another important difference is that the "uses" clauses hide similar
> entries from the used units as they come; in Ada it becomes an
> ambiguity and the compiler requires to make the reference explicit.
> E.g. if you have a variable integer X in interface (spec.) of units
> A and B, "uses A,B" will have a completely different effect than
> "uses B,A". One could cite a lot of such quirks,

Please do. Yes, I'm challenging you. I believe you're wrong.

> but the main reason
> is that all features have been added to a tiny 16-bit compiler
> (Turbo Pascal) written in assembler and with a lot of limitations.

This statement is incorrect.

-- Barry

Team JEDI: http://www.delphi-jedi.org
NNQ - Quoting Style in Newsgroup Postings
  http://web.infoave.net/~dcalhoun/nnq/nquote.html

* Re: Kylix (delphi for Linux), a good Ada alternative for GUI application on Linu
@ 2001-08-03  9:12   ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2001-08-03  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]
> > E.g. if you have a variable integer X in interface (spec.) of units
> > A and B, "uses A,B" will have a completely different effect than
> > "uses B,A". One could cite a lot of such quirks,

> Please do. Yes, I'm challenging you. I believe you're wrong.

Should I mention the typed CONST that are variables, or... well,
some of them are on that page:
  http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/pascada.htm

> > but the main reason
> > is that all features have been added to a tiny 16-bit compiler
> > (Turbo Pascal) written in assembler and with a lot of limitations.

> This statement is incorrect.

Sorry, I should have written "most of the features"...

G.