* Working with very large numbers.
@ 2001-07-09  2:07 McDoobie
From: McDoobie @ 2001-07-09  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alright...I know about long_integers and long_long_integers and all that.

What I'm trying to figure out is how do I work with numbers in which the
standard supplied types are just too small? Specifically, how do I allocate
storage dynamically based upon the size of the integer entered?

I was thinking about using something along the lines of ...

type big_ass_num;
type biggie_ptr is access big_ass_num;

type big_ass_num is (s , (len)'value);

Big_Kahuna: biggie_ptr'(big_ass_num'Range(<>));
Little_Kahuna: biggie_ptr'(big_ass_num'Range( Big_Kahuna > ... (<>));

Or some crazy crap along those lines.

Anyways, as you can tell, I havent quite got the gist of it yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

McDoobie
chris@dont.spam.me

* Re: Working with very large numbers.
@ 2001-07-09  2:54 ` James Rogers
From: James Rogers @ 2001-07-09  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sounds like you want extended precision numbers. Look on the adapower
web site for a package enabling just such types.

Jim Rogers
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA

@ 2001-07-09  4:05   ` McDoobie
From: McDoobie @ 2001-07-09  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3B491D56.65532261@worldnet.att.net>, James Rogers
<jimmaureenrogers@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Sounds like you want extended precision numbers. Look on the adapower
> web site for a package enabling just such types.
>
> Jim Rogers Colorado Springs, Colorado USA

I found the Unlimited Numbers package, but the link seems to be broken.

I'll keep poking around to see if I can come up with something.

@ 2001-07-09 12:42     ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2001-07-09 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

McDoobie wrote:

> In article <3B491D56.65532261@worldnet.att.net>, James Rogers
> <jimmaureenrogers@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> > Sounds like you want extended precision numbers. Look on the adapower
> > web site for a package enabling just such types.
> >
> > Jim Rogers Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
> >

> I found the Unlimited Numbers package, but the link seems to be broken.
>
> I'll keep poking around to see if I can come up with something.

Also on AdaPower is a link to the "Big Numbers" page:
http://www.chez.com/bignumber/index.html

Marc A. Criley
Senior Staff Engineer
Quadrus Corporation