From: rick.thorne@lmco.com (Rick Thorne)
Subject: Re: Looking for ADA
Date: 1997/03/14
Date: 1997-03-14T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <01bc2d83$4ca9e6a0$6966f4ce@wickline>, "Warren Wickline"
<wickline@comp-res.com> wrote:

> I'm still a college student, and I was wondering if anyone could help me
> find a cheap ada compiler.

For the PC?!?  This is kind of like asking "Gee, I'm married with 8 kids.
Can anyone help me get a cheap divorce and keep my child support to a
minimum?"

As a college student, why are you bothering with Ada anyway?  My
recommendations:

1) Learn C, C++, Java, and other language technologies that actually have
a future in the US.

2) Don't sweat Ada unless you get a job in a US DoD contractor's shop or a
job in Europe, then let THEM pay you to work while you learn the language.

3) Keep your C, C++, & Java skills sharp whilst you work with Ada, because
Ada's going away quickly, yes, even in the DoD world because of the Perry
Initiative and the soon-to-happen elimination of the Ada Requirements
(probably by july '97).

4) Learn OOA/D methods; these are the elements of the Software Crisis
unsolved by Ada.  As Brooks stated in "No Silver Bullet": Ada is just a
programming language.  It doesn't cover all the ground by any means.

Good luck, and look to a future that HAS a future.

--
? Rick Thorne                            ?  "I'm quite illiterate, ?
?     software engineer by day           ?   but I read a lot"     ?