* [offtopic] storage like you've always wished it could be: HUGE
@ 1999-12-01  0:00 Kent Paul Dolan
From: Kent Paul Dolan @ 1999-12-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Originally posted to an internal newsgroup:

> Newsgroups: whistle.chat
> Subject: Re: whacky clear 160(sic) GB cd's in our futire?

Paul,

In email message <38446A4C.C662035F@whistle.com>, Paul Ozzello wrote:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/991130-000011.html

W. O. W. !!!

Now that is MY kind of personal storage capability.

Let's see; seven 140 GByte CD-ROMs makes about a terabyte, a typical
jukebox of 100 is 14 terabytes, pretty soon you're talking hosting
your own web open text search site in a ten or fifteen square foot
corner of a home office (which is about the cross section of the
optical fiber bundle you'd need coming though the wall to serve
all that data) ;-) as soon as they come out with the read-write
version.

If you put them in racks instead of just dumping the jukeboxes under
the desk with the dust-bunnies, you could probably manage a pretty
decent on demand full length "full HDTV screen" feature classical
movie server in a spare bedroom.

Thanks.  I use to do research for the US DoC on high density, long
lived (centuries) storage systems, back in the mid 1970s when
nothing like that was available anywhere.  I'm sure you just "made"
my last quarter century, and possibly my waning millennium.

Thanks again, and thanks once more.

The programmer not made more cheerful by that information has
no soul.

               ===== random archival quality quote =====

"No  excuses.   No  embarrassment.   No  apologies...   Ada  -- the most
trusted and powerful programming language on earth, or in space."
                                                       -- S. Tucker Taft
--
Kent Paul Dolan.
<xanthian@well.com> <xanthian@aztec.asu.edu> <xanthian@whistle.com>