* [offtopic] storage like you've always wished it could be: HUGE
@ 1999-12-01  0:00 Kent Paul Dolan
From: Kent Paul Dolan @ 1999-12-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Originally posted to an internal newsgroup:

> Newsgroups: whistle.chat
> Subject: Re: whacky clear 160(sic) GB cd's in our futire?

Paul,

In email message <38446A4C.C662035F@whistle.com>, Paul Ozzello wrote:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/991130-000011.html

W. O. W. !!!

Now that is MY kind of personal storage capability.

Let's see; seven 140 GByte CD-ROMs makes about a terabyte, a typical
jukebox of 100 is 14 terabytes, pretty soon you're talking hosting
your own web open text search site in a ten or fifteen square foot
corner of a home office (which is about the cross section of the
optical fiber bundle you'd need coming though the wall to serve
all that data) ;-) as soon as they come out with the read-write
version.

If you put them in racks instead of just dumping the jukeboxes under
the desk with the dust-bunnies, you could probably manage a pretty
decent on demand full length "full HDTV screen" feature classical
movie server in a spare bedroom.

Thanks.  I use to do research for the US DoC on high density, long
lived (centuries) storage systems, back in the mid 1970s when
nothing like that was available anywhere.  I'm sure you just "made"
my last quarter century, and possibly my waning millennium.

Thanks again, and thanks once more.

The programmer not made more cheerful by that information has
no soul.

               ===== random archival quality quote =====

"No  excuses.   No  embarrassment.   No  apologies...   Ada  -- the most
trusted and powerful programming language on earth, or in space."
                                                       -- S. Tucker Taft
--
Kent Paul Dolan.
<xanthian@well.com> <xanthian@aztec.asu.edu> <xanthian@whistle.com>

* Re: [offtopic] storage like you've always wished it could be: HUGE
@ 1999-12-01  0:00 ` DPH
From: DPH @ 1999-12-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

'Tis awesome all right.  But since the disk is totally transparant,
where do
you put the label?

@ 1999-12-03  0:00   ` Kent Paul Dolan
From: Kent Paul Dolan @ 1999-12-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <384525EA.78EF0B71@compuserve.com>,
DPH  <rally2xs@compuserve.com> wrote:

>'Tis awesome all right.  But since the disk is totally transparant,
>where do you put the label?

Etched into an edge, I suppose, either the inner, spindle edge, or the
outer, "meets the pavement" edge.  Just be careful not to etch away
so much material in pursuit of legibility that the spinning disk
becomes unstable at 7600 RPM.

Whichever edge you etch the label into, you support the diskette by
the other edge to read the label.

Oops!

If we don't quickly standardize on where the label goes, folks won't
know whether to read the label with the diskette supported spindle
style, on the pinky, or discus style, with fingers around the edge.

Mass chaos could ensue, worse than the VHS/Betamax debacle, meaning the
end of civilization (and thus, more importantly, Usenet) as we know it.

Do you want to convene the ANSI technical committee to address this
critical standardization issue, or shall I?

               ===== random archival quality quote =====

[On the question of whether a father has any right to demand abortion of
a  child  he tried sincerely to avoid creating and wants not to support,
that  corresponds  to  the  mother's  right  to  abort  an  inconvenient
pregnancy.]
Does the kid have any rights in all this?  Should the kid just have been
a better little foetal capitalist and planned for all this?
                                                         -- Barry Schein

--
Kent Paul Dolan.
<xanthian@well.com> <xanthian@aztec.asu.edu> <xanthian@whistle.com>
Pretense of web presense [poorly hidden] at http://www.well.com/user/xanthian
(just dumps you into a directory: glitz minus).  [Even more poorly maintained.]

* Re: [offtopic] storage like you've always wished it could be: HUGE
@ 1999-12-03  0:00   ` John Duncan
From: John Duncan @ 1999-12-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"DPH" <rally2xs@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> 'Tis awesome all right.  But since the disk is totally transparant,
> where do
> you put the label?

Ask those folks at QA at IBM a decade or so ago--the answer is "anywhere you
please!"

Anyone else remember this?  When IBM's "PASSED" stickers were deteriorating
and gumming up the mechanisms of hard disks?

-John