From: Phil <dr.kazino@gmail.com>
Subject: Ubuntu - Correclty downloading & installing Adacore files - but graphics not working.....
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 15:07:03 GMT
Date: 2014-10-14T15:07:03+00:00	[thread overview]

I am having trouble getting graphics going on a Ubuntu machine with the
Adacore GPS software. I cannot seem to get the simplest programs running
for graphics, so I guess I have not completed the installation correctly.
Programs with text input and output are working fine. Help! Please :)
(I am trying to get this running on windows machines as well, but that is
another story, not on this thread)

ok. I have a fresh install of a Ubuntu 14.04 32bit system.(running on
virtualbox)

I downloaded from the Adacore website the adagpl-2014 files.
I selected for download the gnatgpl and the gtkada files. Screenshot of
what I downloaded in the link here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/479487/ADAcorescreenshot.pdf

Ok, downloaded. I unpack the tar file.
After extraction, there are a few subdirectories.
I get to the adagpl-2014 directory and then there are two directories:

/gnatgpl /gtkada

I go into the \gnatgpl directory and run the doinstall(with sudo!!!),
eventually(after setting the path) I get the GPS software installed. I can
run some programs with simple text input output to the command line. All
good here. :)

I have not touched or installed any files in the gtkada directory (maybe
the reason....)

So, I test the graphics with two methods.

Test method 1. On the Rosetta code website, I used the code for a simple
hello world graphical window.

Test method 2. In the GPS software, I created a project from template –
gtkada simple window.

I have put the error messages in two reply messages to this thread, as I
guess one part of the problem will be solved before the other part. Before
reading on(if you are!), better to read those messages now.

So, my question is. How do I know I have installed the system correctly?
That is, the gtk or gtkada stuff. Maybe there is something extra like a
path I needed to have done?

Is there something I needed to do, install the stuff in the gtkada
directory?

In the gtkada directory(of the downloaded tar file), there are two further
tar files.

First tar file: “gtk+-3.8.4-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tgz”
I extract the files, and there is a directory structure below. There is no
readme file.
/bin /etc /include /lib /share

Second tar file: “gtkada-gpl-3.8.2-src.tgz”.
There is a install readme. It says I must first install GNU make, glib,
pango, atk and gtk+.
There are many different files here, all in a subdirectory labelled
/gtkada-gpl-3.8.2-src

Do I need to install these files? Is there an order? Suggestions to start?
another method? Was it only something simple? Should I have extracted the
gtk tar file before running the other doinstall script. Maybe just a path
needs to be added. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I wrote the two test methods separately to try to keep it all logically
together. (If I guessed right). I imagine some steps are only relevant to
one part of the problem.

When I start GPS from the command line I get the following error messages,
could this be relevant?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/479487/Error_messages_on_GPS_start.pdf