From: tmoran@acm.org
Subject: Re: C to Ada conversion
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 21:55:35 GMT
Date: 2003-01-14T21:55:35+00:00	[thread overview]

> >   Rs : constant := 6;
> >   type Matrices is array (1 .. Rs, 1 .. Rs) of Float;
> Do you think that's fair ?-) The original profile of the C routine was
>
> int MatrixInversion(float* A, int n, float* AInverse)
  Oops.  I saw the #define on rs before the array declarations and thought
"Aha, known at compile time", but of course you are right that the
Matrix_Inversion routine doesn't depend on rs and will take any size
array.  So I withdraw my suggestion.

> This is NOT pointless because a piece of code should also
> work correctly if someone turns off the automatic checks in Ada.
  I disagree.  Turning off checks is a substantial change to the
assumptions of the programmer.  If he coded to not depend on the
assumption that checks are on, great.  But I don't think one should
assume the programmer didn't assume checks unless he says so.  If
the code should be able to run with checks off, there's no reason
to ever have them on, and the source code should include the
pragma to turn them off.

  Converting index ranges like this by passing to a subroutine is
very nice.  I hadn't seen that done before.