* Problems with GtkAda-2.4.0 on Windows 2000.
@ 2005-05-03 22:43 Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2005-05-03 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recently downloaded GtkAda for Windows and installed it and am having
problems getting it to operate. I have used earlier versions of GtkAda
and got them to work - if not perfectly, at least reasonably well. Can
anyone help with these issues?

Trying to build a simple "Hello World" program with a text window and a
"quit" button, I discover the following:

- Using the command line "gate" program to generate code, I notice that
it does NOT create a "gate" directory as it says it will in the
documentation and it used to do in earlier versions. Hence, it does not
keep a backup copy of the code and any hand-modified code is lost in
regenerating the project. The documentation says it won�t try to
preserve modifications for Windows systems, but it used to at one time.
Is there a way to get it to do this?

- Defining a source subdirectory and pixmap subdirectory in the project
options window seems to have zero effect if a simple name is used like
"src" and "pixmaps". Putting in a fully qualified directory name such as
"c:\hello_world\src" makes it lock up hopelessly. I don't have an
obvious clue as to what to expect these options to produce, but I'm
guessing they ought to have something to do with generating code in the
indicated subdirectory and looking for pixmaps in the indicated
subdirectory. Neither seems to happen.

- Using the "build" menu option or button from Glade puts the code into
c:\GtkAda-2.4.0\bin no matter what is in the project options for the
project directory. This didn't work in earlier versions so I relied on
gate. I saw no indication of this button building a "gate" directory to
preserve hand modifications either.

- When I created a window with a name of "Hello_World" and added the
"on_Hello_World_Delete_Event" signal, the code generation produced a
procedure with the name: "on_Hello world_Delete_Event" (note the space
in the middle of the identifier). Will gate/glade not handle a window
name with an underscore in it?

- When compiling the completely unmodified code as generated for the
simple app, I got the following output from gnatmake:

C:\Condic\ZZZ\Hello>gnatmake -Ic:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada hello_world
gcc -c -Ic:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada hello_world.adb
gcc -c -Ic:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada hello_world_pkg.adb
gcc -c -Ic:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada callbacks_hello_world.ads
gcc -c -Ic:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada hello_world_intl.adb
gcc -c -Ic:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada hello_world_pkg-callbacks.adb
gnatbind -aO./ -aOc:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada -I- -x hello_world.ali
gnatlink hello_world.ali
c:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada\\libgtkada.a(misc.o.b)(.text+0x327f):
undefined r
eference to `SetCursorPos@8'
gnatlink: cannot call C:\GNAT\bin\gcc.exe
gnatmake: *** link failed.

Am I missing some compiler option or linker option necessary to get this
to work?

It seems that earlier versions of GtkAda did not have these problems. Or
they had a different set at least. I can't get very far with this as it
stands and I'd like to be able to use the latest version here rather
than revert to an earlier release. Can anybody provide any info? Thanks.

MDC

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm

Send Replies To: m   o   d   c @ a   m   o   g
                    c   n   i       c   .   r

     "'Shut up,' he explained."

         --  Ring Lardner

* Re: Problems with GtkAda-2.4.0 on Windows 2000.
@ 2005-05-04  1:51 ` Jeff C
From: Jeff C @ 2005-05-04  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic wrote:
> I recently downloaded GtkAda for Windows and installed it and am having
> problems getting it to operate. I have used earlier versions of GtkAda
> and got them to work - if not perfectly, at least reasonably well. Can
> anyone help with these issues?
>
> Trying to build a simple "Hello World" program with a text window and a
> "quit" button, I discover the following:
>
> - Using the command line "gate" program to generate code, I notice that
> it does NOT create a "gate" directory as it says it will in the
> documentation and it used to do in earlier versions. Hence, it does not
> keep a backup copy of the code and any hand-modified code is lost in
> regenerating the project. The documentation says it won�t try to
> preserve modifications for Windows systems, but it used to at one time.
> Is there a way to get it to do this?

The problem is/was that there were issues with all of the various "sh"
like interpreters around a while ago on some versions of windows such
that various parameters were mangled. Also it increase the complexity of
the distribution because then they were also distributing a shell
interpreter.

I am sure you can get it all to work if you use msys and configure/build
from a source distribution (pointing at one of the many existing binary
Gtk+ installers) as long as you restrict yourself to "modern" windows
like XP.

> - Defining a source subdirectory and pixmap subdirectory in the project
> options window seems to have zero effect if a simple name is used like
> "src" and "pixmaps". Putting in a fully qualified directory name such as
> "c:\hello_world\src" makes it lock up hopelessly. I don't have an
> obvious clue as to what to expect these options to produce, but I'm
> guessing they ought to have something to do with generating code in the
> indicated subdirectory and looking for pixmaps in the indicated
> subdirectory. Neither seems to happen.

No help on that one..sorry.

> - When I created a window with a name of "Hello_World" and added the
> "on_Hello_World_Delete_Event" signal, the code generation produced a
> procedure with the name: "on_Hello world_Delete_Event" (note the space
> in the middle of the identifier). Will gate/glade not handle a window
> name with an underscore in it?
>
> - When compiling the completely unmodified code as generated for the
> simple app, I got the following output from gnatmake:
>
> C:\Condic\ZZZ\Hello>gnatmake -Ic:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada hello_world
> gcc -c -Ic:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada hello_world.adb
> gcc -c -Ic:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada hello_world_pkg.adb
> gcc -c -Ic:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada callbacks_hello_world.ads
> gcc -c -Ic:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada hello_world_intl.adb
> gcc -c -Ic:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada hello_world_pkg-callbacks.adb
> gnatbind -aO./ -aOc:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada -I- -x hello_world.ali
> gnatlink hello_world.ali
> c:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada\\libgtkada.a(misc.o.b)(.text+0x327f):
> undefined r
> eference to `SetCursorPos@8'
> gnatlink: cannot call C:\GNAT\bin\gcc.exe
> gnatmake: *** link failed.
>
> Am I missing some compiler option or linker option necessary to get this
> to work?

This is a packaging problem with the last public GtkAda release. It is
unfortuntate because it really make GtkAda Windows support look even
worse than it really is.

Take a look at
http://lists.adacore.com/pipermail/gtkada/2005-January/003203.html or
more specifically the thread that starts with

http://lists.adacore.com/pipermail/gtkada/2005-March/003268.html

@ 2005-05-04 12:23   ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2005-05-04 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff C wrote:

> The problem is/was that there were issues with all of the various "sh"
> like interpreters around a while ago on some versions of windows such
> that various parameters were mangled. Also it increase the complexity of
> the distribution because then they were also distributing a shell
> interpreter.
>
> I am sure you can get it all to work if you use msys and configure/build
> from a source distribution (pointing at one of the many existing binary
> Gtk+ installers) as long as you restrict yourself to "modern" windows
> like XP.

Its too bad. I'm assuming the developers have more of an interest in
Linux platforms than they do windows - but the advantage to GtkAda is
the portability between the two. Once a tool starts depending on
questionable OS-supplied tools, portability goes out the window. From an
end-user's perspective it would be better for them to say "I have my own
diff/merge tool, thank you very much!" - but of course that means the
developer has to do more work. The disappointing thing is that it used
to work and now GtkAda for Windows takes a big step backward.

Given the limitation is at least known, I can keep from shooting myself
in the foot and at least manage it independent of the tool. But that's a
big pain in the posterior.

> This is a packaging problem with the last public GtkAda release. It is
> unfortuntate because it really make GtkAda Windows support look even
> worse than it really is.
>
> Take a look at
> http://lists.adacore.com/pipermail/gtkada/2005-January/003203.html or
> more specifically the thread that starts with
>
> http://lists.adacore.com/pipermail/gtkada/2005-March/003268.html

I didn't see that -largs -mwindows switch in the documentation, but it
looks familiar. (I have not fooled with GtkAda in quite some time since
my job has taken me elsewhere) I'll give it a shot. Thanks.