From: Marin David Condic <nobody@noplace.com>
Subject: Re: Problems with GtkAda-2.4.0 on Windows 2000.
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 12:23:51 GMT
Date: 2005-05-04T12:23:51+00:00	[thread overview]

Jeff C wrote:

> The problem is/was that there were issues with all of the various "sh"
> like interpreters around a while ago on some versions of windows such
> that various parameters were mangled. Also it increase the complexity of
> the distribution because then they were also distributing a shell
> interpreter.
>
> I am sure you can get it all to work if you use msys and configure/build
> from a source distribution (pointing at one of the many existing binary
> Gtk+ installers) as long as you restrict yourself to "modern" windows
> like XP.

Its too bad. I'm assuming the developers have more of an interest in
Linux platforms than they do windows - but the advantage to GtkAda is
the portability between the two. Once a tool starts depending on
questionable OS-supplied tools, portability goes out the window. From an
end-user's perspective it would be better for them to say "I have my own
diff/merge tool, thank you very much!" - but of course that means the
developer has to do more work. The disappointing thing is that it used
to work and now GtkAda for Windows takes a big step backward.

Given the limitation is at least known, I can keep from shooting myself
in the foot and at least manage it independent of the tool. But that's a
big pain in the posterior.

> This is a packaging problem with the last public GtkAda release. It is
> unfortuntate because it really make GtkAda Windows support look even
> worse than it really is.
>
> Take a look at
> http://lists.adacore.com/pipermail/gtkada/2005-January/003203.html or
> more specifically the thread that starts with
>
> http://lists.adacore.com/pipermail/gtkada/2005-March/003268.html

I didn't see that -largs -mwindows switch in the documentation, but it
looks familiar. (I have not fooled with GtkAda in quite some time since
my job has taken me elsewhere) I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

MDC

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm