From: "Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org>
Subject: Re: What is the history behind Natural'First = 0 ?
Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 12:13:12 +0200
Date: 2020-05-01T12:13:12+02:00	[thread overview]

On 5/1/20 6:51 AM, reinert wrote:

> There is no consensus about including 0 among the natural numbers.

Precisely, so Ichbiah was free to use Natural for whichever definition he
considered best. There was a need for subtypes with lower bounds of 0 and 1, and
those subtypes needed names, and Ichbiah chose Natural and Positive for them.
This seems like a good choice; if Natural is used for the latter, I cannot think
of a decent name for the former (Non_Negative? Natural_Plus_Zero?). Given the
obvious alternative name Positive for the subtype beginning with 1, it seems
pragmatic to use Natural for the subtype beginning with 0.

IIRC, Natural and Positive existed in Ada 80.

> Is the key point here: "the standard ISO 80000-2" ?

I doubt it, since that standard didn't exist in 1980.

--
Jeff Carter
"Why, the Mayflower was full of Fireflies, and a few