From: mgr <mgrojo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: linux desktop in trouble
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 18:27:35 +0100
Date: 2020-03-22T18:27:35+01:00	[thread overview]

El 19/3/20 a las 7:07, ldries46 escribió:
 > As a newcomer in the Linux world I can feel what he means. But I just
think that it is not so much the problem of the desktops themselve but
of the lack of standardized installation procedures. There should be
some installation programs as there are in windows, these programs
should be independent of the type of desktop you are using. And of
course they should be complete.

You are right, but that gap is starting to be filled by snaps
(https://snapcraft.io/) or AppImage files.

 > Take for instance GNAT GPS and GtkAda.
 > GNAT GPS before running the installation you must make the package
executable, it should be delivered execuable as under Windows. In Ubuntu
you need to create a .Desktop File to run it from the desktop, that
should be automaticely be created.
 > GtkAda in Windows is one package completely installable. Under Linux
it is broken into several parts which you first have to locate.
 > This is not a problem of the desktop itself but of the producers of
software.

They should consider using a snap package and the process would be easy
as installing a distribution package.