From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Advice on best environment for Ada on Windows
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 18:36:07 +0100
Date: 2020-02-13T18:36:07+01:00	[thread overview]

On 2020-02-13 17:24, Rick Newbie wrote:
>> I am surprised by this statement. I use mainly GPS, emacs sometimes. I
>> have no problem with it. Are you using a recent version? There were some
>> issues with the early versions, but they are long gone.
>
> Thanks I believe that lots of the problems come from the incorrect
> Python installation it does. I had to fix environment variables and even
> correct syntax errors in a script to get the debugger running at all and
> then I get sometimes other error messages from Python scripts. I don't
> know the language so I can't fix it all.
>
> Perhaps you are using the Pro version and it is better or you are using
> Linux and it's better integrated there but under Windows the Community
> edition needs some polishing to work right.

GNAT installs a copy of Python in its the same installation directory,
e.g. python27.dll is in C:\GNAT\2019\bin.

Note that Python versions are incompatible with each other and that
might be a reason you have problems. Though I wonder how you managed
that. Python DLL is loaded from the same directory as GPS, that is
Windows loader default behavior difficult to circumvent.

In fact, since Python is so poorly standardised, a lot of applications
install their own Python copy, just like GNAT does. If you search your
computer for python*.dll you will find lots of them. I have a dozen of.
So if something is broken then likely in the directories relative to
C:\GNAT\2019 which Python uses.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov