From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Advice on best environment for Ada on Windows
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 09:45:26 +0100
Date: 2020-02-13T09:45:26+01:00	[thread overview]

On 2020-02-13 06:13, Rick Newbie wrote:
> I'm new to Ada and slowly getting into my first small programs. The
> question that arises soon after the first steps is that of the best
> working environment, so I wanted to hear what the regular Ada users work
> with.

[...]

GPS is one of the most mature IDE, even when compared with MS Visual
Studio. It is especially good with large Ada projects.

[Forget about GDB, I doubt you will ever get it working]

Well, as for alternatives.

There is a project integrating GNAT into MS Visual Studio. I never tried
it, because I do prefer GPS to Visual Studio, but I guess that you will
not be able to use MS debugger with Ada compiled by GNAT.

There is a GNAT Eclipse plug-in called "workbench" or so. If you want an
extremely buggy and slow IDE that would be your primary choice. Of
course GDB will not work there either.

P.S. It is a pity that AdaCore uses Python scripts on some occasions,
e.g. in GPS automation. I am using Python for that purpose too and not
happy with that. I tried Julia as an alternative to Python, but Julia is
even less stable than Python and incompatible with MSYS on top of that.

The problem is lack of Ada scripting language. There are some projects,
but they all are oriented on a command line interpreting and cannot be
used for scripting.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov