From: Samuel Tardieu <sam@inf.enst.fr>
To: "W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)" <wwgrol@PSESERV3.FW.HAC.COM>
Subject: Re: Configuration Management for Ada on Unix
Date: 1996/05/30
Date: 1996-05-30T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

>> ... RCS keeps the last version in a "pristine" form ...

Wes> If I read this right, RCS keeps the last version in a form that
Wes> will not choke a compiler?  If so, then is there anything else
Wes> about RCS that would prevent using the RCS directory as your
Wes> "official" compilation library? Then "normal" builds would always
Wes> use the latest checked-in files, and compilers that check file
Wes> dates would not have to recompile files that had not been checked
Wes> out and in again!

No, you got it wrong; writing that RCS keeps a ready-to-extract
copy of the latest version doesn't mean that there is nothing more in
a RCS file, in fact there is :) Note that this would be wonderful,
this would mean that one could store the old revisions of a file in
zero byte :)

Wes> The down side is that malice and/or stupidity could get in and
Wes> edit the files without check in/out.  Can't do that in SCCS
Wes> unless you're clever enough to recompute and edit the checksum.

You better not edit yourself a RCS file. Unix permissions will prevent
you do this inadvertently anyway (RCS files are read-only be default).

Wes> PLUG: A low cost CM system (and more!) that adds functionality to
Wes> either SCCS or RCS is Razor.  It is also very customizable. Even
Wes> though written in C, it is reliable and robust--and the authors
Wes> originally started it to support an Ada project.  I have no
Wes> personal interest in it, just a satisfied user.

PLG: A *free* CM system (and more!) that is built on top of RCS is
     CVS. You can grab it from http://www.cyclic.com/ (I think)

  Sam
--
"La cervelle des petits enfants, ca doit avoir comme un petit gout de noisette"
                                                       Charles Baudelaire