From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: ANN: Simple components for Ada v.4.42
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2019 21:58:19 +0200
Date: 2019-10-03T21:58:19+02:00	[thread overview]

On 2019-10-03 20:58, Olivier Henley wrote:
>> Not that JSON has much merits either
>
> I want to know more on why you think so?
>
> Since virtually every web 'distributed architecture' since 2010 decided to go 'string based', what could be more appropriate than Json?
>
> Is it the 'string based' approach that itches you?

It is many things, not just one. Before talking about a solution I would
like know the problem.

Why there should a data definition language there. Why this language
must lack any decent language features? You could not parse it
otherwise, then why a language again? Why it must pretend to be
readable, while nobody ever reads it. Why it should be weakly typed. Why
it should be non-portable (e.g. JSON numbers) etc.

> I know protobuf is serialization of structured primitive types and grpc handle these as a form of rpc over http2.
>
> I know grpc is available for many languages and therefore makes a viable alternative to Json in an heterogeneous network of services.

RPC is not a good idea either. But even so, there is no reason to use
something like JSON for marshaling RPC parameters.

> I also know Ada has no implementation of protobuf and/or grpc.

Well, Ada community has very limited resources available. It must treat
such things pragmatically.

I would say, if you need communication do it in Ada. If you need
interoperability with some legacy mess, OK, then there is a demand and
one could consider some Ada bindings/adapter to that mess. So far nobody
voiced it.

> Where do we go from there?

We sit and wait. Bad ideas tend to drown themselves in countless useless
implementations, JSON, XML, YAML ... There is no rush. Next year
somebody will invent something no less worse.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov