From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: ANN: Simple components for Ada v4.41 released
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 17:56:43 +0200
Date: 2019-08-05T17:56:43+02:00	[thread overview]

On 2019-08-05 16:22, Shark8 wrote:

> Wow!
> This is incredible news, especially for things like the Wasabee browser project.
> There was someone who was working on an Ada/SPARK ASN.1 compiler (Peter Chapin?) and I think the people doing this project --

    https://github.com/ttsiodras/asn1scc -- which *is* an ASN.1 compiler.

I am aware of ASN1SCC, but I wanted an alternative approach that does
not require code generator and can handle constraints dynamically.

ASN.1 specifications are infested with objects defined up to "MAX"
items. E.g. the LDAP filter is a variable record (CHOICE) with
disjunctive and conjunctive forms as alternatives containing the LDAP
filter recursively as terms. The number of terms is an unspecified MAX
and the depth of recursion is kind of infinite. I have no idea how the
generators handle this mess. If compiled literally, e.g. with MAX=256
depth=32, it would take a huge amount of memory while in reality it is
bounded from above just by the message length.

> WRT the OpenSSL dependency, how much work would it be to get rid of it?

There is no dependency on OpenSSL.

OpenSSL and GNUTLS are two back-ends used in the corresponding
implementations of the secure connection handler. Both are separate
gpr-projects.

All network stacks are designed to work with any handler implementation.
Should Ada TLS become available I would use it in yet another
implementation of.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov