From: Dan Nagle <dnagle@erols.com>
Subject: Re: New Language Design: (Cray, Sun prep radical software models for petaflops systems)
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 06:33:49 -0500
Date: 2003-11-26T11:36:48+00:00	[thread overview]

Hello,

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:15:54 -0500, "Warren W. Gay VE3WWG"
<ve3wwg_nospam@cogeco.ca> wrote:

>"Preben Randhol" <randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@pvv.org> wrote in message
>> On 2003-11-24, Warren W. Gay VE3WWG <ve3wwg@cogeco.ca> wrote:
>> > I find it interesting that they classified "Ada"
>> > as a failure, and are looking at ways to extend
>> > "Fortran" (of all things) and C++.
>>
>> Isn't there a special fortran for parallel computing?

Standard Fortran allows parallelism, but the standard
goes out of its way _not_ to tell the compiler how to generate code.

>I think newer revisions of Fortran included some parallel computing
>support. But what I remember seeing of the revised language is that
>it has had a lot of bags added on ;-)

Fortran 2003 is in its comments on the Final Committee Draft stage.
You may download a PDF of the FCD from
http://www.j3-fortran.org (with Javascript enabled), and click
to download several megabytes :-( of PDF.

Informally, comments may be posted to comp.lang.fortran,
where several J3 members post, or may be formally sent
to INCITS for recording, official response et al.

I'll find and post here the official announcement, if there's
interest.

(Fortran 2003 has "Interoperability with C", which the subgroup
claims includes interoperability with Ada, if the Ada side is
also interoperating with C.  So it's C as universal assembler.)

--
Cheers!

Dan Nagle
Purple Sage Computing Solutions, Inc.