From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: volatile vs volatile_components
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 10:25:15 +0100
Date: 2008-11-06T10:25:15+01:00	[thread overview]

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 17:21:25 -0800 (PST), Adam Beneschan wrote:

> I can't think of a single case where an operation on an array
> that has Volatile_Components but not Volatile specified should behave
> differently than the same operation on a Volatile array.

Packed; cached arrays? I would guess that when the array is volatile, but
its components are not, then subsequent reading two components occupying
the same memory location can be coalesced into one memory operation. It
would store things into; say; a register and the components would be
obtained from there. When the components are volatile the compiler must
read the memory twice.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov