From: John McCabe <john@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: This MIDI stuff, would someone be interested in reviewing my code?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 11:35:27 +0000
Date: 2010-03-15T11:35:27+00:00	[thread overview]

Christophe,

>John McCabe a �crit :
>> Hi
>>
>> It's still early days but, if I'm going to be using Ada to try to
>> build this app I want, it would be nice to write it in a style that
>> looks appropriate. I'm aware of the Q&S guide but I was hoping that
>> someone could take a quick look at the code I've written (it's only 80
>> lines or so, and it's down below) and see if there's anything
>> obviously stupid I'm doing.

>Here is a working code: http://sourceforge.net/projects/canta/ written
>in Ada.

Thank you for pointing me to that code. I really appreciate it but
unfortunately there only seems to be a small amount of it that fits in
with the application I'm thinking of developing, and that's the
opening of the MIDI output port and sending short messages.

That will be useful, but my main challenges will be handling the MIDI
input and the GUI. From the GUI point of view, I see that you're
directly using the Windows functions, like CreateWindow and so on. I'm
hoping to be able to use Qt to help this become cross-platform (I know
my calls to midiInGetNumDevs etc are all explicit above, but I hope to
abstract an interface to the midi functionality once I've proven that
I can do the basic stuff on windows).

The other thing is that all my MIDI dealings will be with System
Exclusive messages whereas yours appears to only use short messages to
the MIDI output device.

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to reply though, so thank
you very much.

John