From: "Marc A. Criley" <marc@mckae.com>
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: DTraq First Public Release
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 00:55:50 GMT
Date: 2003-09-03T00:55:50+00:00	[thread overview]

Jeffrey Creem wrote:
> "Pascal Obry" <p.obry@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
>
>>I've never used nor seen such a tool. Can you provides more information
>>about what it can be used for ? How can it helps debugging ?
>>

> I have not looked a the details about what this tool provide but at a high
> level I can say that this
> could be really useful for "system level" debugging/analysis information.
> What I mean is that in many systems, one ends
> up creating some sort of data logging interface that keeps track of either
> inputs to some top level module and/or
> intermediate calculations to better understand how the system is operating.
> Sounds like this would be a quick way
> to get this information out more easily. It probably will not be as quick as
> some of the hand/rolled solutions (which
> dump data in a raw binary format for later offline expansion to ASCII) but
> still useful in some cases.

Pretty close :-)

DTraq does log data in binary form, though, so you get the performance
benefits of doing that.  And it also does both near simultaneous
conversion to text for live monitoring, and post-run conversion for
playback, printing, and analysis.  (The logging and text conversion is
performed by a logging server, which can run on a totally different
machine so as to minimally interfere with the system under test.  Data
is transferred from app to server via TCP/IP.)

Marc A. Criley
McKae Technologies