* ANN: Deepend 3.1 available for Ada 2005 and Ada 2012
@ 2012-07-07  2:27 Brad Moore
From: Brad Moore @ 2012-07-07  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

After only a few days since the 3.0 release, I am pleased to announce
the availability of Deepend 3.1.

Deepend is a dynamic storage pool with Subpool capabilities for Ada 2005
and Ada 2012 where all the objects in a subpool can be reclaimed all at
once, instead of requiring each object to be individually reclaimed one
at a time. A Dynamic Pool may have any number of subpools. If subpools
are not reclaimed prior to finalization of the pool, then they are
finalized when the pool is finalized.

Rather than deallocate items individually which is error prone and
susceptible to memory leaks and other memory issues, a subpool can be
freed all at once automatically when the pool object goes out of scope.

With this Storage pool, Unchecked_Deallocation is implemented as a No-Op
(null procedure), because it is not needed or intended to be used.

Subpool based storage management provides a safer means of memory
management, which can outperform other mechanisms for storage
reclamation including garbage collection.

Major differences in this release:

- Can now deallocate the default subpool, then continue to allocate
   objects from the default subpool.
- Took advantage of new Ada 2012 features including;
    o New Iterator syntax for containers
    o Expression Functions
    o Conditional expressions
    o Invariants
    o Pre and Post conditions
    o static subtype predicates
- Corrected build documentation for ICC Ada 2005 compiler
- Test drivers improved with more comprehensive tests
- Tree benchmark tests more specialized between Ada 2012 vs Ada 2005
- Restructured compiler output folders

The latest stable release and older releases may be downloaded from;

https://sourceforge.net/projects/deepend/files/

* Re: ANN: Deepend 3.1 available for Ada 2005 and Ada 2012
@ 2012-07-07 14:21 ` Brad Moore
From: Brad Moore @ 2012-07-07 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/07/2012 8:27 PM, Brad Moore wrote:
> Major differences in this release:
>
> - Can now deallocate the default subpool, then continue to allocate
>    objects from the default subpool.
> - Took advantage of new Ada 2012 features including;
>     o New Iterator syntax for containers
>     o Expression Functions
>     o Conditional expressions
>     o Invariants
>     o Pre and Post conditions
>     o static subtype predicates
> - Corrected build documentation for ICC Ada 2005 compiler
> - Test drivers improved with more comprehensive tests
> - Tree benchmark tests more specialized between Ada 2012 vs Ada 2005
> - Restructured compiler output folders

There is one other difference I forgot to mention.
In the previous version, there were compile time warnings I had added,
that stated that GNAT currently routes all allocations to the default
subpool, even if a specific subpool had been specified for the allocator.

eg foo_access := new (my_subpool) foo_type;

Those warnings were incorrect. If a subpool is specified for an
allocator then the allocation does come from the specified subpool. So I
removed the compile time warning in the current 3.1 release. GNAT
works correctly for this case.

Brad