From: tmoran@bix.com
Subject: Re: Representation question (void *)
Date: 1999/11/17
Date: 1999-11-17T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

>The closest semantic equivalent to C's void* is Ada's System.Address.
>This is *almost* certain to be compatible (I doubt that there's an
>existing system on which they're different), but the language doesn't
>guarantee it.
   I'm looking at an Ada 95 compiler manual that says its Ada
"Access a_type" maps to "*a_type".  It also says:
"System.Address for Windows NT compilers is 48 bits, including the
segment.  Most 32 bit C compilers cannot use the segment information.
If your compiler can, the declaration would likely be 'far *a_type'.
Otherwise ... pass the (offset component) as '*a_type'.  That will
work only if the address has the same segment as your program."
   We've found in CLAW, which of course is in the business of
talking to C (Windows), a rather modest need for "void".  A quick
scan shows 63 SLOC containing the words Void or LPVoid, out of
about 125 KSLOC.  YMMV