From: "Björn Lundin" <b.f.lundin@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Licensing Paranoia and Manual Compilation Issues
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 10:21:54 +0100
Date: 2018-12-13T10:21:54+01:00	[thread overview]

On 2018-12-12 10:34, alexander@xn--junivrs-e1a.com wrote:
> Let's assume someone made a tool to aid people with a repetitive task in Ada. Give that the GPL license and it'd be impossible for someone to "steal" (redistribute for a fee) the original author's code, still allowing people to learn from the code that makes up the tool.

You can always "steal" GPL code, and redistribute it for a fee as you
see fit.
The freedom in GPL is not free as free beer, but free as free speach.
So you would need to provide the sources to the customers you sell to.
And I think, a fairly easy way to reproduce an executable/library.

You code depending on GPL (linked with) will inherit the GPL license.
But you can charge your customers whatever you want.

However you likely need to provide something better that the original
code for people _wanting_ to pay you, I guess.

Björn