From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Per-project third party library management
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 09:56:14 +0200
Date: 2018-10-09T09:56:14+02:00	[thread overview]

On 2018-10-09 09:03, Henrik Härkönen wrote:

> What I'm aiming for with my question, is to learn a way to install a library so that it would not require root access and it would be more tied to the project.

If you don't want to follow the rules imposed by the OS, there is no
such thing as "install" anymore. Simply copy the library file where you
want it to be.

Specifically for GNAT Ada there is a ready-to-use tool gprinstall which
does installation of Ada projects. A third-party library can be
described as a separate (externally built) library project. I didn't try
it, but I suppose it must work as expected.

But again, for anything beyond simplest stuff you have no choice but to
use the corresponding packaging tool of the corresponding OS, however
painful, like in the case of DEB and RPM, it might be.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov