From: Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre@nbi.dk>
Subject: Character encoding (Was: types and non-contigous ranges)
Date: 27 Feb 2004 14:58:29 +0100
Date: 2004-02-27T14:58:29+01:00	[thread overview]

Erlo Haugen skrev:
> Jacob Sparre Andersen skrev:

> > That is probably because you and your compiler aren't in complete
> > agreement about which character encoding you are using.  If the
> > compiler expects you to use ISO-8859-1 (which is very likely) and
> > you are actually using UTF-8 (which I would guess from the error
> > message), then the compiler will not read what you see as "�" as
> > "�" but as a sequence of two other characters.
>
> In the source?

Yes.

> type Valid_Characters is ('0', '1', '2', ... '9',
>                            'A', 'B', 'C', ... '�'); <<<<-----this is
> where I get the error.

Yes.

> How do I get in sync with the compilers idea of which encoding we
> use?

It depends on which compiler you use.

If you are working on a Unix system, I think the command `locale`
should reveal which character encoding your system in general uses
(for your account).

If you use GNAT as you compiler, then it as the standard expects the
code to be coded in ISO-8859-1, but there are command line argumente
for making it work with other encodings.  I think it is the "-gnati?"
flags, but I am not sure, and I can't find a copy of the GNAT manual.

Jacob
--
�Fuck amerikansk kulturimperialisme!� - graffiti p� N�rrebro