* Software Quality & Fault Measurement
@ 2004-02-10  6:58 Michael Kelly
From: Michael Kelly @ 2004-02-10  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to locate information on quality measurement studies that have
been done on projects using C, C++, Ada, Java, and Perl. I'm particularly
interested in materials regarding fault measurements. Any pointers would
be greatly appreciated.

If these are not the proper newsgroups to post this to, please disregard.

thanks,
-Mike

--

=--------------------------------------------------=
Mike Kelly	<kelly@cs.dal.ca>

  "Just because you're riding around in a limosine
   doesn't mean you're not retarded"
		-- The Daily Show
=--------------------------------------------------=

* Re: Software Quality & Fault Measurement
@ 2004-02-10  9:40 ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2004-02-10  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michael Kelly" <kelly@cs.dal.ca> a �crit dans le message de news:c09veo$269$1@News.Dal.Ca...
> I'm trying to locate information on quality measurement studies that have
> been done on projects using C, C++, Ada, Java, and Perl. I'm particularly
> interested in materials regarding fault measurements. Any pointers would
> be greatly appreciated.

A famous paper on C vs. Ada is "Comparing Development Costs of C and Ada"
 http://www.adaic.com/whyada/ada-vs-c/cada_art.html

           J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* Re: Software Quality & Fault Measurement
@ 2004-02-11  2:24 ` Jack Klein
From: Jack Klein @ 2004-02-11  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 06:58:32 +0000 (UTC), Michael Kelly
<kelly@cs.dal.ca> wrote in comp.lang.c:

> I'm trying to locate information on quality measurement studies that have
> been done on projects using C, C++, Ada, Java, and Perl. I'm particularly
> interested in materials regarding fault measurements. Any pointers would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> If these are not the proper newsgroups to post this to, please disregard.
>
> thanks,
> -Mike

I would say that this if off-topic in every group you posted it to,
with the possible exception of the advocacy group.

The groups you want are:

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

* Re: Software Quality & Fault Measurement
@ 2004-02-11 14:38 ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2004-02-11 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please do not cross post to programming language newsgroups.
Replies are often by default cross posted as well, leading to excessive
chatter, and often to useless language wars.

If you must reply to such a post, please remove all cross posted newsgroups
from you reply.

Thank you,
Steve
(The Duck)

* Re: Software Quality & Fault Measurement
@ 2004-02-11 21:18   ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2004-02-11 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Please do not cross post to programming language newsgroups.
  Considering that the OP was asking a question about multiple programming
languages, it seems rather reasonable that he should have crossposted
to the relevant language newsgroups.
  BTW, I only saw a single response to his question about studies
comparing error rates by language.  Did I miss others?

* Re: Software Quality & Fault Measurement
@ 2004-02-12  3:00     ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2004-02-12  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have no objection to posting to mulitple newsgroups individually, but
cross posting has always been counterproductive (in my experience).

Steve
(The Duck)

<tmoran@acm.org> wrote in message news:h_wWb.9329$_44.11212@attbi_s52...
> >Please do not cross post to programming language newsgroups.
>   Considering that the OP was asking a question about multiple programming
> languages, it seems rather reasonable that he should have crossposted
> to the relevant language newsgroups.
>   BTW, I only saw a single response to his question about studies
> comparing error rates by language.  Did I miss others?

* Re: Software Quality & Fault Measurement
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-02-12 10:08 ` Peter Amey
From: Peter Amey @ 2004-02-12 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Kelly wrote:
> I'm trying to locate information on quality measurement studies that have
> been done on projects using C, C++, Ada, Java, and Perl. I'm particularly
> interested in materials regarding fault measurements. Any pointers would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> If these are not the proper newsgroups to post this to, please disregard.

Although it wasn't primarily a comparative study, some useful evidence
emerged from the Lockheed C130J programme and, in particular, the
certification effort sponsored by the UK MoD on that aircraft.  Relevant
papers from Crosstalk Journal include:

"Correctness by Construction, Better Can Also be Cheaper"
http://www.sparkada.com/downloads/Mar2002Amey.pdf

and

"Software Static Code Analysis Lessons Learned" by Andy German, QinetiQ
Boscombe Down. DoD CrossTalk Journal, November 2003
http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/crosstalk/2003/11/index.html

Executive summary:  C130J (Hercules II) code, already cleared to DO178
levels A or B, in a variety of languages from a variety of vendors, was
reviewed and examined by an MoD-appointed contractor.  Residual error
rates for Ada were about an order of magnitude smaller that for C-based
languages.  SPARK had significantly lower error rates than Ada.

Peter

* Re: Software Quality & Fault Measurement
@ 2004-02-16  9:56       ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2004-02-16  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve (The Duck) wrote:

> I have no objection to posting to mulitple newsgroups individually,
> but cross posting has always been counterproductive (in my
> experience).

Not if "Followup-To" is set to an appropriate group.

Greetings,

Jacob (who cross-posts "all the time")
--
"It ain't rocket science!"