* translate character 2 ascii
@ 2000-05-11  0:00 davdenic
From: davdenic @ 2000-05-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, what is the function that translate character in ascii or integer ?

thanks

David.

--
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
www.davdenic.com

* Re: translate character 2 ascii
@ 2000-05-11  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-05-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <VPAS4.793$F46.8196@news.infostrada.it>,
  "davdenic" <davidNOspam@davdenic.com> wrote:
> Hi, what is the function that translate character in ascii or integer

Check out Appendix K of the Ada LRM (available online at
http://www.adapower.com, if you don't have your own).

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-05-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8fepcv$dbp$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
> In article <VPAS4.793$F46.8196@news.infostrada.it>,
>   "davdenic" <davidNOspam@davdenic.com> wrote:
> > Hi, what is the function that translate character in ascii or
integer

> Check out Appendix K of the Ada LRM (available online at
            ^^^^^^^^

Urgh. That's *Annex* K. Sorry.

--

@ 2000-05-11  0:00     ` davdenic
From: davdenic @ 2000-05-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

i can't find it, why ? translate real or other into integer is simple using
x:= integer(y),  why not for character to ascii or character to integer ?

for example in Pascal there is the functin Ord to convert character to ascii
x:= ord(y);

thanks

David.

--
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
www.davdenic.com

@ 2000-05-11  0:00       ` DuckE
From: DuckE @ 2000-05-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"davdenic" <davidNOspam@davdenic.com> wrote in message
> i can't find it, why ? translate real or other into integer is simple
using
> x:= integer(y),  why not for character to ascii or character to integer ?
>
> for example in Pascal there is the functin Ord to convert character to
ascii
> x:= ord(y);

The corresponding operation in Ada is:

  x := Character'Pos( y );

SteveD

@ 2000-05-12  0:00       ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2000-05-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

What's the difference between a character 'x' and an ascii 'x'?
If you are talking about position in the list of characters,
  n : integer := character'pos('x');   -- set n to 120
  c : character := character'val(121); -- set c to 'y'
It's in Appendix K, though I grant it doesn't exactly jump out at you.

* Re: translate character 2 ascii
@ 2000-05-12  0:00         ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-05-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <X9OS4.526$4L1.385603@news.pacbell.net>,
  tmoran@bix.com wrote:
> It's in Appendix K, though I grant it doesn't exactly jump out at you.

True. The reason I pointed David to Annex K rather than just tell him,
is so that he'd have to read through the Annex. There's lots of other
very important stuff in there (eg: 'val, 'image) that anyone programming
Ada at *any* level needs to know about.

--

@ 2000-05-12  0:00           ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2000-05-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Ted Dennison wrote:

|True. The reason I pointed David to Annex K rather than just tell him,
|is so that he'd have to read through the Annex. There's lots of other
|very important stuff in there (eg: 'val, 'image) that anyone programming
|Ada at *any* level needs to know about.

True. This is a good approachfor any kind of real learning (don't give
fish, give fishing rods...). The case for Annex K is even stronger.
I routinely direct  my students  to Annex K (and A...)

Ehud Lamm mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il
http://purl.oclc.org/NET/ehudlamm <== My home on the web
Check it out and subscribe to the E-List- for interesting essays and more!

* Re: translate character 2 ascii
@ 2000-05-13  0:00             ` davdenic
From: davdenic @ 2000-05-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks.