From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Ada-Win32 bindings
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2018 17:02:40 -0500
Date: 2018-08-07T17:02:40-05:00	[thread overview]

<alby.gamper@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:5c836355-2938-4cde-a03f-f7ee9f3ff2ee@googlegroups.com...
> With respect to your last comment/paragraph I get the impression that you
> think
> these bindings were NOT built by a tool?

I was commenting on MAWB (won't have needed help if spending months on a
tool was a serious option - since such a thing requires essentially building
half of a C compiler). I had no idea how you made your bindings.

> In fact they were, and the underlying
> technology behind it makes it feasible to implement some if not all of
> your
> and Dmitry's suggestions/points. My only concern with this (if fully
> implemented)
> would be the resulting size of the bindings blowing out from 100K lines of
> code
> to something much bigger (and the impact of usage from clients of the
> bindings)

90% of Microsoft's bindings are of little interest to anyone. They tend to
introduce a new API frequently, often for purposes that never get any
traction with anyone. So long as your bindings are well-organized, the sheer
volume is rather irrelevant, since most users will stick with just a handful
of packages.

For a low level binding like this (which is going to be used mainly as a
foundation for better things), probably the most important feature is
compatibility. That is, newer versions of the binding need to change as
little as possible about existing APIs, because breaking things all the time
will make one no friends. (Ask Dmitry about GTK versions. :-) That's likely
to be a struggle with a tool-generated binding.

                                   Randy.