* Easiest graph pakcage
@ 2001-06-27 19:21 Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2001-06-27 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

What's the easiest to use package for graph based algortihms? I am looking
for something the exports a graph data type, and allows the obvious
operations. Not something overly clever, just something that can be easily
resued by students to build interesting stuff that's based on using graph
representations. I'd love to have the standard operations (e.g., transitive
closure) but I can even live without those. I want the package to use as
basic Ada as possible, which essentially means no tagged types. Generic are
fine.

I know of the Booch components, of course, but it seems to me that
installing them and understanding their terminology (managed/unmanaged etc.)
is quite an overkill for what I have in mind.

Any suggestions?

--
Ehud Lamm   mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il
http://purl.oclc.org/NET/ehudlamm <==  Me!

* Re: Easiest graph pakcage
@ 2001-06-27 20:45 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-06-27 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9hdc6v$ln3$1@news.huji.ac.il>, Ehud Lamm says...
>operations. Not something overly clever, just something that can be easily
>resued by students to build interesting stuff that's based on using graph
..
>I know of the Booch components, of course, but it seems to me that
>installing them and understanding their terminology (managed/unmanaged etc.)
>is quite an overkill for what I have in mind.

I certianly wouldn't envy someone trying to explain to Ada novices how to
instantiate those packages.

---

* Re: Easiest graph pakcage
@ 2001-06-27 20:55 ` Pat Rogers
From: Pat Rogers @ 2001-06-27 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

The "NOSC Tools" for Ada 83 that were developed by Intermetrics has a graph
package I've used many times in the past.  I believe those packages are on
the PAL, or the ASR, or whatever it is called nowadays...

@ 2001-06-27 22:30   ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2001-06-27 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pat Rogers <progers@classwide.com> wrote in message
> The "NOSC Tools" for Ada 83 that were developed by Intermetrics has a
graph
> package I've used many times in the past.  I believe those packages are on
> the PAL, or the ASR, or whatever it is called nowadays...

Thanks. I tried searching for it, and found something... It is onyl for DAGs
though (which may be ok for my needs).
I couldn't get it to compile though, since the file I found didn't include
all the requried support packages. I also had a hard time gnatchop-ing it
for use with Gnat.
In fact, I'd much prefer something that can be used directly with Gnat, so
that if I direct my student to it, I wouldn't have to create a private
mirrored version with Gnat filenames and so on, with all the issues this
entails (copyrights etc.)

--

@ 2001-06-29  5:13   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2001-06-29  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com> writes:

> In article <9hdc6v$ln3$1@news.huji.ac.il>, Ehud Lamm says...

> >operations. Not something overly clever, just something that can be easily
> >resued by students to build interesting stuff that's based on using graph
> ..
> >I know of the Booch components, of course, but it seems to me that
> >installing them and understanding their terminology (managed/unmanaged etc.)
> >is quite an overkill for what I have in mind.
>
> I certianly wouldn't envy someone trying to explain to Ada novices
> how to instantiate those packages.

Oh, so a (brief?) tutorial would be in order for the next release?

* Re: Easiest graph pakcage
@ 2001-06-29  8:15     ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2001-06-29  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> wrote in message

> Oh, so a (brief?) tutorial would be in order for the next release?

This would be a very welcome addition, but the Ada features used by the
components will remain complicated.
Maybe simple to use wrappers are in order?

--

@ 2001-06-29 14:32     ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-06-29 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <x7vofr7vpft.fsf@smaug.pushface.org>, Simon Wright says...

>Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com> writes:
>
>> I certianly wouldn't envy someone trying to explain to Ada novices
>> how to instantiate those packages.
>
>Oh, so a (brief?) tutorial would be in order for the next release?

I'd say so, yes. OpenToken is similarly complicated to instantiate (at least the
parsing stuff is), so I included a user guide with examples. I'm not saying that
document is a good universal template, but it certianly beats nothing. :-)

---