From: John Stoneham <captnjameskirk@moc.oohay>
Subject: Re: writing an "artful" algorithm
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 13:12:53 GMT
Date: 2003-04-23T13:12:53+00:00	[thread overview]

Dan Eilers wrote:
> Well, you are in luck.  Knuth's techniques for generating permutations
> are explained in gory detail in section 7.2.1.2 of The Art of Computer
> Programming, (part of the long-awaited Volume 4), and available online
> at:
>
>   http://www-cs-staff.Stanford.EDU/~knuth/fasc2b.ps.gz
>
> See in particular the answers to exercises 9 and 41.
>
> 	-- Dan Eilers

Wow, thanks! I did not realize that "previews" of Vol. 4 were online.
I've had an extremely busy week and haven't been able to revisit this
problem, but I look forward to reading through those sections and
exercises, and hopefully I'll be able to take another crack at it this
weekend.

--
John S. (to email, reverse the domain)