From: Brian Drummond <brian@shapes.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: "Plugin°-based code
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 08:42:49 -0000 (UTC)
Date: 2018-06-05T08:42:49+00:00	[thread overview]

On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 03:29:24 -0700, mockturtle wrote:

> Dear.all,

> Let me use an example.  Suppose I am writing a program to plot, say, a
> GANTT chart.  I want the user to be able to choose the output format
> (say, PDF, SVG or even LaTeX) by giving a suitable option on the command
> line and I want to be able to add new output format easily, maybe even
> load the "format handler" as a dynamic library at run-time

Not relevant to the actual questior, but a Cairo drawing surface (e.g. as
in GTKAda) provides rendering to PDF and SVG directly, which may make
life simpler.

I don't know how easy it would be to add other formats under Cairo. It
may be easier to add other formats above Cairo, and use the same (Cairo)
plotter for both those.

-- Brian