From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Ada in polluted WWW searches
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 19:53:12 -0500
Date: 2018-05-21T19:53:12-05:00	[thread overview]

"Dan'l Miller" <optikos@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:ab228d07-e89a-40b5-a134-e4bc33ec5ace@googlegroups.com...
> One of the complications of searching for solutions to challenges
> regarding Ada (as well as job postings needing Ada skills & experience)
> is the fact that Ada matches ADA, the initialism for both the Americans
> with Disabilities Act and the American Dental Association.  When
> searching for Ada, a vast treasure trove of topics for the physically
> handicapped and for dental/dentist topics appear in the search results.
> Ada the programming language is in a distant 3rd place.

This problem was well known decades ago. Tom Moran and I built the Ada-wide
search engine to "solve" this problem -- it indexes all known Ada sites. It
doesn't work as well as it used to because a lot of sites have switched to
HTTPS which we can't index yet. (I need to find some time to fix that; I
have *soooo* much spare time ;-).

Anyway, you can find it on AdaIC or directly at
http://www.ada-auth.org/wide-search.html.

Note that the blurb for this on the ACAA home page says "Search many
Ada-related web sites without getting results for dentists and dairymen."

                                                       Randy.

P.S. Irrelevant story: RRS briefly had an office in a building on Madison's
west side (now demolished for a new freeway off-ramp) which had previously
housed the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board. When we were working in the
ceiling to run cables or some such thing, we discovered that all of the roof
beams has "ADA of WIS" written on them in black marker. Somehow seemed
appropriate. :-)