* How to Download From PAL ?
@ 2018-05-08 11:33 patrick
From: patrick @ 2018-05-08 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

There is a repo here and it's mentioned in the wikipedia book but I don't seem to be able to download any Ada programs:

http://www2.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/iste/ps/AdaBasis/pal_1195/ada/pal.html

Has anyone else had any luck ? -Patrick

* Re: How to Download From PAL ?
@ 2018-05-08 12:29 ` Stéphane Rivière
From: Stéphane Rivière @ 2018-05-08 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick,

If you search for similar old Ada 83 and Ada 95 sources, I have 2,2 Go
of (compressed) "Ada Documentation, information and source code
organized by Richard Conn" who is the author of PAL...

Thoses datas come from the "Walnut Creek CDROM company" with "a catalog
of PAL, including 1200 pages covering the 2 CDROM set"...

It was the... Ada CDROM November 1994 edition...

I can put it on the web the next weekend, if you need this...

Stef,

--
Be Seeing You
Number Six

* Re: How to Download From PAL ?
@ 2018-05-08 12:41   ` patrick
From: patrick @ 2018-05-08 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Stef

Thanks so much for offering this. I would love to have it.

It's too much to ask to post this just for me but if you could do this, I promise to mirror to one of my web sites. Then at least it's a benefit for more than just me.

-Pat

* Re: How to Download From PAL ?
@ 2018-05-08 14:15     ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2018-05-08 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 7:29:24 AM UTC-5, Stéphane Rivière wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> If you search for similar old Ada 83 and Ada 95 sources, I have 2,2 Go
> of (compressed) "Ada Documentation, information and source code
> organized by Richard Conn" who is the author of PAL...
>
> Thoses datas come from the "Walnut Creek CDROM company" with "a catalog
> of PAL, including 1200 pages covering the 2 CDROM set"...
>
> It was the... Ada CDROM November 1994 edition...
>
> I can put it on the web the next weekend, if you need this...

Please do!
1) Not only does Pat need this (for his book),
2) but also so do I, more for Ada1995 than Ada1983 though.
But there are other reasons too:
3) We must be vigilant to never let Ada have even a whiff of appearance that Ada is fading away as a forgotten antique into the dustbins of history.  The more broken links and missing archives, the more it looks like either no one cares about Ada or, worse, the generation that authored that material literally has died.
4) All output that was directly and indirectly authored by or funded via Ada Joint Program Office in the Dept of Defense in the USA—and any corresponding offices in NATO—as well as just general Ada momentum from that 1970s-to-1990s era all needs to be preserved and forever available online.

Speaking of which in #4, •••does anyone know which university••• was the designated repository for all Ada Joint Program Office documents upon APJO's closure around 1998 or so?  This article mentions such a deposit to a university repository but never gives the name of the university:
https://gcn.com/Articles/1998/06/22/Its-curtains-for-the-Ada-Joint-Program-Office.aspx
“DISA is also •transferring• its extensive Ada library to a ••university for safekeeping••.
The collection of historic and educational Ada materials will be kept intact and made
available for public use.”

Perhaps they meant only bound books on library shelves instead of the vast trove of declassified & nonclassified AJPO documents regarding AJPO operations.  But still, which university ended up with all that donation, whatever its content was?

> Stef,
>
> --
> Be Seeing You
> Number Six

Who is Number One?
You are … Number Six.

On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 7:41:42 AM UTC-5, pat...@spellingbeewinnars.org wrote:
> Hi Stef
>
> Thanks so much for offering this. I would love to have it.
>
> It's too much to ask to post this just for me but if you could do this, I promise to mirror to one of my web sites. Then at least it's a benefit for more than just me.
>
> -Pat

Pat, I am glad that you requested this, because I had it on my to-do list this week to contact all the maintainers of various websites (e.g., PAL) that had broken links and disabled FTP sites for all this old Ada information.  What fortuitous timing!

* Re: How to Download From PAL ?
@ 2018-05-08 15:37       ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2018-05-08 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, 8 May 2018 15:15:35 UTC+1, Dan'l Miller  wrote:

> > I can put it on the web the next weekend, if you need this...

Shame all the SunSite's shut down.

> Speaking of which in #4, •••does anyone know which university••• was the

According to http://archive.adaic.com/docs/flyers/pal.html it was wuarchive.wustle.edu.

* Re: How to Download From PAL ?
@ 2018-05-08 15:45         ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2018-05-08 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, 8 May 2018 16:37:11 UTC+1, Lucretia  wrote:
> On Tuesday, 8 May 2018 15:15:35 UTC+1, Dan'l Miller  wrote:
>
> > > I can put it on the web the next weekend, if you need this...
>
> Shame all the SunSite's shut down.
>
> > Speaking of which in #4, •••does anyone know which university••• was the
>
> According to http://archive.adaic.com/docs/flyers/pal.html it was wuarchive.wustle.edu.

Found this https://archive.org/details/ADA_-_The_Public_Ada_Library_Walnut_Creek_November_1997

* Re: How to Download From PAL ?
@ 2018-05-08 16:17           ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2018-05-08 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, 8 May 2018 16:45:10 UTC+1, Lucretia  wrote:

> Found this https://archive.org/details/ADA_-_The_Public_Ada_Library_Walnut_Creek_November_1997

The torrent works and is pretty fast.

* Re: How to Download From PAL ?
@ 2018-05-08 16:24           ` patrick
From: patrick @ 2018-05-08 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Awesome!thanks Luke !

Hi Stef

Hold off!

I will upload later this as individual files, no need to use your bandwidth and it won't be necessary for everyone to download the whole 2 CDs.

I may need a couple weeks, I have my hands full

* Re: How to Download From PAL ?
@ 2018-05-08 16:28           ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2018-05-08 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 10:45:10 AM UTC-5, Lucretia wrote:
> Found this https://archive.org/details/ADA_-_The_Public_Ada_Library_Walnut_Creek_November_1997

This is excellent!  Thank you!

We still need the PAL content though, because these 1997-era CDROMs are ~1.2 gigabytes, whereas Stéphane Rivière has approximately another gigabyte.  (2,2 Go is French for 2.2 gigaoctets = 2.2 gigabytes)

Btw, if relying on only the Walnut Creek content alone, I am most interested in the June 1994 (or earlier in 1993 or 1994) editions of the Walnut Creek CDROMs on Ada.

* Re: How to Download From PAL ?
@ 2018-05-08 16:29   ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2018-05-08 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 05/08/2018 02:29 PM, Stéphane Rivière wrote:

> If you search for similar old Ada 83 and Ada 95 sources, I have 2,2 Go of
> (compressed) "Ada Documentation, information and source code organized by
> Richard Conn" who is the author of PAL...

Note that something similar is available at adaic.org, though it claims to be
1.3 GB rather than 2.2:

http://archive.adaic.com/ase/index.html

reached from

http://www.adaic.org/ada-resources/tools-libraries/

--
Jeff Carter
"Damn it, Jim, I'm an actor, not a doctor."

* Re: How to Download From PAL ?
@ 2018-05-08 17:02     ` Dirk Craeynest
From: Dirk Craeynest @ 2018-05-08 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <pcsj8t$hp9$1@dont-email.me>,
Jeffrey R. Carter <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org> wrote:
>Note that something similar is available at adaic.org, though it
>claims to be 1.3 GB rather than 2.2:
>
>http://archive.adaic.com/ase/index.html
>
>reached from
>
>http://www.adaic.org/ada-resources/tools-libraries/

A blast from the past... ;-)

What's on the AdaIC is a later version of the "Public Ada Library
(PAL)" under it's (then) newer name of "Ada and Software Engineering
Library Version 2 (ASE2)" from October 2000.

Randy fetched the copy for the AdaIC from the Ada-Belgium ftp server
where we had put it up for everyone interested.  IIRC, it is the
final version of the "PAL" that was made.

I still have a box with most PAL versions on CD-ROM: Ada-Belgium
did order many to be handed out to participants at our events at
the time...

FWIW, the Ada-Belgium ftp server is long gone, but the original ASE
directory is still available at:
http://www.cs.kuleuven.be/~dirk/ada-belgium/archive/ase/

Happy browsing...

Dirk
Dirk.Craeynest@cs.kuleuven.be (for Ada-Belgium/Ada-Europe/SIGAda/WG9)

* Re: How to Download From PAL ?
@ 2018-05-08 20:17   ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2018-05-08 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stéphane Rivière" <stef@genesix.fr> wrote in message
> Patrick,
>
> If you search for similar old Ada 83 and Ada 95 sources, I have 2,2 Go of
> (compressed) "Ada Documentation, information and source code organized by
> Richard Conn" who is the author of PAL...
>
> Thoses datas come from the "Walnut Creek CDROM company" with "a catalog of
> PAL, including 1200 pages covering the 2 CDROM set"...
>
> It was the... Ada CDROM November 1994 edition...
>
> I can put it on the web the next weekend, if you need this...

This (the last Walnut Creek CD set) has been available on Dirk's site and in
the AdaIC archives for many years, so putting it up again is rather a waste
of time.

The link on the AdaIC site is:

http://archive.adaic.com/ase/index.html

                       Randy Brukardt.

* Re: How to Download From PAL ?
@ 2018-05-08 20:22       ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2018-05-08 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Dan'l Miller" <optikos@verizon.net> wrote in message
>4) All output that was directly and indirectly authored by or funded
>via Ada Joint Program Office in the Dept of Defense in the USA-
>and any corresponding offices in NATO-as well as just general Ada
>momentum from that 1970s-to-1990s era all needs to be preserved
>and forever available online.

Everything that the ARA got from AJPO has been on-line in the AdaIC archives
since 1998 (see http://archive.adaic.com). We didn't get *everything*; some
stuff not on the AdaIC site seems to have not been saved.

In any case, if you truly find this important, you might consider becoming
an ARA contributor to help with the expenses associated with it.

                         Randy.

* Re: How to Download From PAL ?
@ 2018-05-08 20:23             ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2018-05-08 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

<patrick@spellingbeewinnars.org> wrote in message
> Awesome!thanks Luke !
>
> Hi Stef
>
> Hold off!
>
> I will upload later this as individual files, no need to use your
> bandwidth and it won't be necessary for everyone to download the whole 2
> CDs.
>
> I may need a couple weeks, I have my hands full

It would be a waste of time, it's available in a number of places on-line.
See earlier messages.

             Randy.

* Re: How to Download From PAL ?
@ 2018-05-08 20:27             ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2018-05-08 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

>We still need the PAL content though, because these 1997-era CDROMs are
> ~1.2 gigabytes, whereas Stéphane Rivière has approximately another
> gigabyte.
> (2,2 Go is French for 2.2 gigaoctets = 2.2 gigabytes)

The most recent version came on two disks. I'm pretty sure the older ones
did as well.

>Btw, if relying on only the Walnut Creek content alone, I am most
>interested
>in the June 1994 (or earlier in 1993 or 1994) editions of the Walnut Creek
>CDROMs on Ada.

That extra size is probably just ancient Ada compilers (several were
included), those would be of essentially no use today. The CDs were curated
back in the day, with corrections and updates being applied, so the most
recent version has the best code. Using an older version just gives you
known and fixed bugs. :-)

I checked a number of different versions of these disks and didn't find
anything significant on older ones that was omitted from the latest one.

                             Randy.

* Re: How to Download From PAL ?
@ 2018-05-08 20:32     ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2018-05-08 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 3:17:58 PM UTC-5, Randy Brukardt wrote:
> "Stéphane Rivière" wrote in message
> > Patrick,
> >
> > If you search for similar old Ada 83 and Ada 95 sources, I have 2,2 Go of
> > (compressed) "Ada Documentation, information and source code organized by
> > Richard Conn" who is the author of PAL...
> >
> > Thoses datas come from the "Walnut Creek CDROM company" with "a catalog of
> > PAL, including 1200 pages covering the 2 CDROM set"...
> >
> > It was the... Ada CDROM November 1994 edition...
> >
> > I can put it on the web the next weekend, if you need this...
>
> This (the last Walnut Creek CD set) has been available on Dirk's site and in
> the AdaIC archives for many years, so putting it up again is rather a waste
> of time.
>
> The link on the AdaIC site is:
>
> http://archive.adaic.com/ase/index.html
>
>                        Randy Brukardt.

As history, the progression over time is more important than the “last“.  To that end, this archive linked below of all editions of the Walnut Creek Ada CDROMs is more useful to historians, especially if one wants a 1994-era view instead of a 1997-era view.

https://archive.org/details/walnutcreekcdrom?sort=titleSorter
then click on A for Ada to see all 9 editions of the Ada CDROMs released between March 1994 and November 1997.

Again, thank you, Luke.

* Re: How to Download From PAL ?
@ 2018-05-08 21:13               ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2018-05-08 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 3:27:40 PM UTC-5, Randy Brukardt wrote:
> …  The CDs were curated
> back in the day, with corrections and updates being applied,

Yes, that is precisely why later editions are of less value than earlier editions when looking for date-boundaries on when an event occurred.

> so the most
> recent version has the best code. Using an older version just gives you
> known and fixed bugs. :-)

They also have updated copyright notices.

> I checked a number of different versions of these disks and didn't find
> anything significant on older ones that was omitted from the latest one.

Copyright notices were the still-very-significant thing for which I was looking.

* Re: How to Download From PAL ?
@ 2018-05-09 21:34       ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2018-05-09 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Dan'l Miller" <optikos@verizon.net> wrote in message
..
>> This (the last Walnut Creek CD set) has been available on Dirk's site and
>> in
>> the AdaIC archives for many years, so putting it up again is rather a
>> waste
>> of time.
>>
>> The link on the AdaIC site is:
>>
>> http://archive.adaic.com/ase/index.html

>As history, the progression over time is more important than the "last".

Most people looking for the PAL or ASE aren't looking for "history", they're
looking for some tool or library. And for that, the most recent version is
the best. (Working software continues to work regardless of how old it is!)

Yes, of course, if you're looking for history per-se, there are other places
to look for this information -- but that mainly seems to be of interest for
dead languages and Ada is anything but dead. (Stale versions of things do
nothing for making Ada appear alive, which I thought was your concern here.)

                         Randy.

* Re: How to Download From PAL ?
@ 2018-05-22 17:12       ` Blady
From: Blady @ 2018-05-22 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08/05/2018 19:02, Dirk Craeynest wrote:
>> On 05/08/2018 02:29 PM, Stéphane Rivière wrote:
>>> If you search for similar old Ada 83 and Ada 95 sources, I have
>>> 2,2 Go of (compressed) "Ada Documentation, information and source
>>> code organized by Richard Conn" who is the author of PAL...
>
> In article <pcsj8t$hp9$1@dont-email.me>,
> Jeffrey R. Carter <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org> wrote:
>> Note that something similar is available at adaic.org, though it
>> claims to be 1.3 GB rather than 2.2:
>>
>> http://archive.adaic.com/ase/index.html
>>
>> reached from
>>
>> http://www.adaic.org/ada-resources/tools-libraries/
>
> A blast from the past... ;-)
>
> What's on the AdaIC is a later version of the "Public Ada Library
> (PAL)" under it's (then) newer name of "Ada and Software Engineering
> Library Version 2 (ASE2)" from October 2000.
>
> Randy fetched the copy for the AdaIC from the Ada-Belgium ftp server
> where we had put it up for everyone interested.  IIRC, it is the
> final version of the "PAL" that was made.
>
> I still have a box with most PAL versions on CD-ROM: Ada-Belgium
> did order many to be handed out to participants at our events at
> the time...
>
> FWIW, the Ada-Belgium ftp server is long gone, but the original ASE
> directory is still available at:
> http://www.cs.kuleuven.be/~dirk/ada-belgium/archive/ase/
>
> Happy browsing...
>
> Dirk
> Dirk.Craeynest@cs.kuleuven.be (for Ada-Belgium/Ada-Europe/SIGAda/WG9)

Hello,

Downloading on both web sites with wget gives several 404 errors, as:

https://people.cs.kuleuven.be/~dirk.craeynest/ada-belgium/archive/ase/support/support/conn_bio.htm
The requested URL
/~dirk.craeynest/ada-belgium/archive/ase/support/support/conn_bio.htm
was not found on this server.

https://people.cs.kuleuven.be/~dirk.craeynest/ada-belgium/archive/ase/ase02_02/bindings/tash/license.htm
The requested URL
/~dirk.craeynest/ada-belgium/archive/ase/ase02_02/bindings/tash/license.htm
was not found on this server.

http://archive.adaic.com/ase/ase02_02/tools/usafa/rapid/rapid.ps
The requested URL /ase/ase02_02/tools/usafa/rapid/rapid.ps was not found
on this system.

http://archive.adaic.com/ase/ase02_02/bindings/tash/tests/README.htm
The requested URL /ase/ase02_02/bindings/tash/tests/README.htm was not
found on this system.

Is there somewhere to get ASE files with iso format or something like that?

Thanks, Pascal.