From: "Ken Garlington" <Ken.Garlington@computer.org>
Subject: Re: Pragma Inline and its Effects of Compilation Dependencies.
Date: 2000/03/22
Date: 2000-03-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

I think the use of the library-based approach was due to a combination of
things:

- Vendors reading RM83 section 10.4 too closely: "a library file containing
information on the compilation units of the program library must be
maintained by the compiler..."

- Assumptions about efficiency.

- The desire to do things like distribute pre-compiled component sets
without releasing the source code. The presumption was that this was better
than just releasing object code, since there would be additional information
for optimizations, support tools, etc.