From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Installing .ads, best practices ?
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 17:03:47 +0200
Date: 2018-04-30T17:03:47+02:00	[thread overview]

On 2018-04-30 15:17, patrick@spellingbeewinnars.org wrote:

> If we create our own C libraries on Linux(or similar posix) the best practice is to put the header in /usr/local/lib and not in /usr/lib where the original libraries installed by the package manager or at install time are located.
>
> On my system, most of the .ads spec files are located in:
> /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6/rts-native/adainclude/
>
> It doesn't seem to like a good idea to install my own spec files there for system wide use.
>
> Would /usr/local/include be better? Do you use something like this? If so, do you have an environmental variable in your.bashrc so that gnatmake finds it without passing an argument ?

No. As Niklas suggested use the corresponding Ada policy of the target
and pack your Ada library using the corresponding packaging tool, e.g.
dpkg under Debian or rpm under Fedora.

If you respect the policy, no additional user settings are required to
use your library with either gnatmake or gprbuild.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov