From: cis.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!spool.mu.ed u!umn.edu!csus.edu!netcom.com!pasadena@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Logicon RDA)
Subject: Re: 2167A Questions
Date: 30 Jul 93 01:01:14 GMT	[thread overview]

Morris J. Zwick (mzwick@vitro.com) wrote:
: In article <1993Jul21.142339.20342@schbbs.mot.com> tannen@tigger.geg.mot.com
: (David Tannen) writes:
: >When working in 2167A I have tried to organize system in the following manne
r:
: >
: >	CSU = package (ie Unit test is @ the package level)
: >	CSC = subsystem(s) There can be multiple layers of CSCs if you want.
: >	CSCI = whole system (all the CSCs)
: >
: >For instance:
: >	Your system will have three different pieces of hardware (A,B,C) and
: >	the system is called XYZ.
: >
: >	Subdivide the system as so:
: >		XYZ CSCI
: >		A CSC
: >		B CSC
: >		C CSC
: >

: I'm not sure I agree with this. Typically, CSCI's are determined to be
: "autonomous" systems or subsystems. Code running on each piece of hardware ca
: generally be considered as separate subsystems. Perhaps my disagreement furth
er
: highlights some of the problems with 2167A.

: I'll try a different example. Say we have some weapons control system with tw
: computers, A&B. Let's say that computer A contains subsystems to track the
: target(a), determine if we can shoot at the target(b), and tell the equipment
: to do something about it(c). Let's say computer B contains subsystems to acce
pt
: sensor data (d) and control display devices (e).

: First, the CSUs in the system are represented by each procedure, function, or
: package in the system. This is the easiest part. Let's say in computer A, CSU
's

**** line deleted ****

Look at the name  CSCI.  A *Computer Software Configuration Item* is just
that.  It is a deliverable unit.  It is something a bean counter checks off
and pays for and does not know that is has CSCs inside.  A system can have
more than one CSCI.  In most cases one CSCI per executable unit.

A CSU is the thing that you unit test.  Do you test the *seperates* or
the packages?  you choice.  mine is packages.

CSC can be anything to aid decomposition.

-- Chris ALbertson   pasadena@netcom.com