From: Francesco Bochicchio <bockman@virgilio.it>
Subject: Re: Splitting packages  in per-procedure separate files
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:42:56 +0100
Date: 2007-02-12T19:42:56+01:00	[thread overview]

Il Mon, 12 Feb 2007 05:45:51 -0500, Stephen Leake ha scritto:

> Francesco Bochicchio <bockman@virgilio.it> writes:
>
>> What I have is an application consisting of a dozen different
>> packages. Now the standard mandates:
>>
>> - one name_package.ads for package public declarations
>> - one name_package.adb for package private declarations (including
>> separate declarations for all procedures)
>> - one name_package-name_procedure.adb for each procedure in the package
>>
>> Some of the coders have actually followed the standards, some have not,
>> putting all the procedure code inside the name_package.adb file. Now I
>> have to split these files ( about half of the packages, so probably 10000
>> line of codes, not the 20000 initially stated ).
>
> In general, I approve of organizations enforcing coding standards;
> they increase overall productivity.
>
> However, in this situation it's appropriate to consider whether this
> coding standard should be changed instead.

I agree. Unfortunately our client does not - at least on this specific
issue (they have relaxed other standards ... ).

> What is the rationale for putting _every_ procedure in a separate file?

In theory, for readability. In theory. In my experience, I found that
the code readability  depends on the IDE you are using. With
simple editors (say emacs or UltraEdit) I feel more comfortable to have a
whole package in a single file. With complete IDE (say GPS or AdaMulti) it
does not matter much one way or the other, since the file structure is
hidden behind the project structure.
Anyway I am not in the position to cange the standards ...

> Why do some coders choose to not follow the standard?

It happens in messy projects, and the one in question has been _very_
messy ...

Ciao
------
FB