From: Francesco Bochicchio <bockman@virgilio.it>
Subject: Re: Splitting packages  in per-procedure separate files
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 13:09:38 +0100
Date: 2007-02-11T13:09:38+01:00	[thread overview]

Il Sat, 10 Feb 2007 19:36:09 +0000, Jeffrey R. Carter ha scritto:

> Stephen Sangwine wrote:
>> On 2007-02-10 16:23:12 +0000, Francesco Bochicchio <bockman@virgilio.it>
>> said:
>>
>>> due to coding standards which  were not enforced when someone else coded,
>>> I now have to split the packages of a 20000 LOC ADA program, putting a
>>> single procedure per file (using the separate clause).
>>
>> 20,000 LOC is quite a large program. If it has all the procedures declared
>> immediately within the main program declarative part that would be quite an
>> un-Ada way to have structured the code.
>>
>> Is it really written like that?
>
> He said "/packages/ of a 20000 LOC ADA [sic] program [emphasis added]",
> so clearly it's not all in the main procedure.

Right.

Maybe the term program was misleading. What I have is an
application consisting of a dozen different packages. Now the standard
mandates:

- one name_package.ads for package public declarations
- one name_package.adb for package private declarations (including
separate declarations for all procedures)
- one name_package-name_procedure.adb for each procedure in the package

Some of the coders have actually followed the standards, some have not,
putting all the procedure code inside the name_package.adb file. Now I
have to split these files ( about half of the packages, so probably 10000
line of codes, not the 20000 initially stated ).

This could be done by hand in at most a (very boring) week (but I'd say
three days could be enough), so I can't spend too much effort in
automating this task, except for:
a) preparing for future similar activities
b) having sligtly more fun.

Thanks to all the posters that answered.

 Ciao
------
FB