* [ANN]- AonixADT for Eclipse now available for Intel/Linux and Sparc/Solaris for GNAT
@ 2006-10-30 17:19 ` Tom Grosman
From: Tom Grosman @ 2006-10-30 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aonix is pleased to announce AonixADT v311, the first publicly available
release of our Eclipse Ada Development plugin for Intel Linux and Sparc
Solaris. In addition to introducing support for Linux and Solaris, version
3111 updates AonixADT for Windows by adding support for lowlevel debugging
operations and other enhancements..

AonixADT supports GNAT and ObjectAda toolchains and includes support for

Ada Project Navigation
Ada Semantic Browsing
Ada 95 Colorizing Editor
Ada Semantic Code Assist
Multilanguage Development
Multiple Build Configurations
File Creation Wizards
Code Formatting
Native Debugging from within Eclipse

More information about AonixADT and downloads are available at
http://www.aonix.com/adt.html.

* [ANN]- AonixADT for Eclipse now available for Intel/Linux and Sparc/Solaris for GNAT
@ 2006-10-30 17:20 Tom Grosman
From: Tom Grosman @ 2006-10-30 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aonix is pleased to announce AonixADT v311, the first publicly available
release of our Eclipse Ada Development plugin for Intel Linux and Sparc
Solaris. In addition to introducing support for Linux and Solaris, version
3111 updates AonixADT for Windows by adding support for lowlevel debugging
operations and other enhancements..

AonixADT supports GNAT and ObjectAda toolchains and includes support for

Ada Project Navigation
Ada Semantic Browsing
Ada 95 Colorizing Editor
Ada Semantic Code Assist
Multilanguage Development
Multiple Build Configurations
File Creation Wizards
Code Formatting
Native Debugging from within Eclipse

More information about AonixADT and downloads are available at
http://www.aonix.com/adt.html.

* Re: [ANN]- AonixADT for Eclipse now available for Intel/Linux and Sparc/Solaris for GNAT
@ 2006-10-31  1:49 ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2006-10-31  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:20:47 +0100, Tom Grosman wrote:

> Aonix is pleased to announce AonixADT v311, the first publicly available
> release of our Eclipse Ada Development plugin for Intel Linux and Sparc
> Solaris. In addition to introducing support for Linux and Solaris, version
> 3111 updates AonixADT for Windows by adding support for lowlevel debugging
> operations and other enhancements..
>
> AonixADT supports GNAT and ObjectAda toolchains and includes support for

Aonix still doesn't get it.

I've been looking to migrate to an Eclipse-based Ada development
environment and so was quite keen on this announcement.  So I register, go
to the download page, and see the following:

"Projects created using the GNAT toolchains are restricted to a maximum of
35 units and 2000 lines per source file. If this limitation is too
restrictive for your needs, contact Aonix to acquire the GNAT Professional
Add-On for AonixADT.  The GNAT Add-On includes full support for AonixADT."
(from http://www.aonix.com/adt_downloads.html)

My utility directory alone has more than 35 units, so this is simply a
non-starter.  GNAT Pro isn't an option for me at the present time, so
neither is the "GNAT Professional Add-On for AonixADT".

I don't want a "demo" version of an Eclipse-based Ada development
environment, nor am I looking to evaluate a crippled implementation.  If
Aonix wants to gain some ground in the community of Self-Motivated Ada
Developers, the products they make available to it must be fully
usable in our development environments.

As it's now configured, AonixADT isn't worth my effort.

Whether or not you agree with AdaCore's full-GPL licensing of their Free
GNAT distribution, at least what they provide to the Ada community is
all fully enabled.

-- Marc A. Criley
-- McKae Technologies
-- www.mckae.com
-- DTraq - Avatox - XIA - XML EZ Out

* Re: [ANN]- AonixADT for Eclipse now available for Intel/Linux and Sparc/Solaris for GNAT
@ 2006-10-31  8:43   ` Alex R. Mosteo
From: Alex R. Mosteo @ 2006-10-31  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc A. Criley wrote:

> I don't want a "demo" version of an Eclipse-based Ada development
> environment, nor am I looking to evaluate a crippled implementation.  If
> Aonix wants to gain some ground in the community of Self-Motivated Ada
> Developers, the products they make available to it must be fully
> usable in our development environments.

I guess at least it would be polite to include in the announce that this is
a crippled evaluation version. Just before reading this post I was
misinforming a colleague that finally there was a freely usable Ada plugin
for Eclipse. Furthermore, I don't see any clue of this not even at the
point when you have to send your info to get the download.

This reminds me that there was some people working on eclipse plugins.
Anyone reading? How far you got?

* Re: [ANN]- AonixADT for Eclipse now available for Intel/Linux and Sparc/Solaris for GNAT
@ 2006-10-31  9:37   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2006-10-31  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc A. Criley wrote:

> My utility directory alone has more than 35 units, so this is simply a
> non-starter.  GNAT Pro isn't an option for me at the present time, so
> neither is the "GNAT Professional Add-On for AonixADT".

I'm not sure the conclusion follows from the premises. :-) :-)
There may be two limitations here, not necessarily depedent:

1/ GNAT Pro Add-On for ADT
2/ GNAT Pro

I imagine the Aonix GNAT Pro ADT Add-On is not covered by an AdaCore
support subscription. Also, by mere speculation, the pricing for
ADT may be, uh, unrelated to that of GNAT Pro.

I'd like to say Thank You to those who made this plugin!

It has feature that impress me. Many other plugins
provide little more than syntax highlighting.

What could be an incentive to the business entity Aonix so they
add all kinds of "free" to their product?
Will they  have reason to think about conditions for projects
that seem less self-interestested and closed source, but rather
seem good and profitable for everyone, including Aonix?

Georg

* Re: [ANN]- AonixADT for Eclipse now available for Intel/Linux and Sparc/Solaris for GNAT
@ 2006-10-31 13:21     ` Tom Grosman
From: Tom Grosman @ 2006-10-31 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Georg Bauhaus" <bauhaus@futureapps.de> a �crit dans le message de news:
45471846$0$18848$9b4e6d93@newsspool4.arcor-online.net...
> Marc A. Criley wrote:
>
>> My utility directory alone has more than 35 units, so this is simply a
>> non-starter.  GNAT Pro isn't an option for me at the present time, so
>> neither is the "GNAT Professional Add-On for AonixADT".
>
> I'm not sure the conclusion follows from the premises. :-) :-)
> There may be two limitations here, not necessarily depedent:
>
> 1/ GNAT Pro Add-On for ADT
> 2/ GNAT Pro
>
> I imagine the Aonix GNAT Pro ADT Add-On is not covered by an AdaCore
> support subscription. Also, by mere speculation, the pricing for
> ADT may be, uh, unrelated to that of GNAT Pro.

That's correct. As comp.lang.ada readers know, a sore point with smaller Ada
shops, is the GNATPro pricing model, which IIRC starts at 5 or 10 seats. It
is possible to buy a single license of the GNAT Professional Add-on. (The
Add-on can be used with GNATPro or GPL'ed GNAT releases.)

> I'd like to say Thank You to those who made this plugin!

You're welcome !

> It has feature that impress me. Many other plugins
> provide little more than syntax highlighting.
>
> What could be an incentive to the business entity Aonix so they
> add all kinds of "free" to their product?

AonixADT when used with ObjectAda of course does not restrict project size.
Mark, if you can show us a valid business model where we invest development
resources to provide a free Eclipse interface for a competitor's product,
we're willing to consider other approaches. We think that the limitation on
project size means that the ADT is useful for smaller projects and
especially in acedemic settings, without the Add-on. Judging from the number
of students and faculty downloading the plugin, that may be the case.
Because the downloadable version includes all features, we also think that
users can get a good idea of whether it meets their professional development
needs before requesting the Add-on.

> Will they  have reason to think about conditions for projects
> that seem less self-interestested and closed source, but rather
> seem good and profitable for everyone, including Aonix?

We are actively involved in projects like that.  If you know of other such
projects, please let us know. We've been Ada advocates for 25 years. Still
are.

Tom

* Re: [ANN]- AonixADT for Eclipse now available for Intel/Linux and Sparc/Solaris for GNAT
@ 2006-11-01  1:30       ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2006-11-01  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom Grosman wrote:
> [Marc], if you can show us a valid business model where we invest
> development resources to provide a free Eclipse interface for a
> competitor's product, we're willing to consider other approaches. We
> think that the limitation on project size means that the ADT is useful
> for smaller projects and especially in acedemic settings, without the
> Add-on.

Perhaps not a "business model", but instead a "business _opportunity_
model".

All Ada software I've developed outside of my day job has been possible
due to AdaCore's compilation tools, and the generosity of numerous other
software developers in the Ada community. I've never used an Aonix
product, but not because I have anything against the company (quite the
contrary, I've been aware of, and appreciated, Aonix' Ada advocacy over
the years).

I'm a serious, self-motivated Ada developer, as are many others in this
forum, so any tool or product that I use has to be capable of performing
effectively and efficiently in my development environment.

AonixADT for GNAT is too capability-limited for my activities, therefore I
won't spend time giving a serious look to a tool that I can't properly
evaluate in my real-world environment. So Aonix loses an opportunity to
gain some mindshare and some hand's-on experience with me.

And without that mindshare and experience, there's no basis for me to
recommend the product to others, including my day job employers. Fair or
not, individuals tasked with recommending tools can't help but be biased
towards those they're already familiar with.

At a former employer that was transitioning from a defunct Ada 83 compiler
to Ada 95, it was my responsibility to make the technical case for the
compiler choice--and clearly my 5 years of experience at that time with
GNAT influenced my analysis. More recently, my experience with the free
distribution of the Perforce Source Control tool (www.perforce.com) to
small development organizations led me to recommending Perforce (over CVS
and ClearCASE, which I also had significant experience with) to an
employer that was upgrading from an ancient version of SourceSafe.

Hand's on exposure to fully capable tools, or those that are limited in a
non-intrusive way (e.g., the free Perforce is limited to two users--not
much of an impediment to a One Map Shop :-) gain mindshare for the product
and the company. While _I_ may find it infeasible to drop $5000 for an
Aonix Ada compiler on Linux, that's not to say I won't give it a fair
hearing to an employer based on what I've learned about the company's
products, quality, and service gained by the use of their other
products--such as AonixADT.

-- Marc A. Criley
-- McKae Technologies
-- www.mckae.com