From: "Dr. Adrian Wrigley" <amtw@linuxchip.demon.co.uk.uk.uk>
Subject: Re: PolyORB - building and applications
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:26:18 GMT
Date: 2006-09-19T12:26:18+00:00	[thread overview]

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:31:40 +0200, Alex R. Mosteo wrote:

> Dr. Adrian Wrigley wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 05:18:56 -0400, Stephen Leake wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
>>> Use a supported compiler with Annex E.
>>
>> Good idea!
>>
>> What choices are there under $12,000? ($2000 might be OK)
>
> If you qualify for the GAP program, you will get good support from AdaCore
> in exchange for Ada advocating, basically. Your bug reports will receive
> answers in form of workarounds and bugfixes to CVS.
>
> http://www.adacore.com/home/academia/

I'm exactly the kind of Ada user who needs a reliable compiler, with
professional support, if necessary.  I don't qualify for an academic
version with support - I use Ada software to run my business.

To justify paying money for a supported compiler, I need to be
confident that it will improve my business (after accounting for the
(possibly) saved time and the cost).

It might take a month to rewrite code to avoid suspected libraries.
I would consider that a somewhat better choice than paying $12k for
someone else to look into problems for me.  Other businesses might
reasonably take a different view.  The situation becomes more uncertain
if I am unsure whether or when the library will be fixed, and whether
it will be available to the public soon.  Even at $2000, the choice
would not be clear cut.

Ada's prospects were severely curtailed by the high cost of
compilers in the 1980s.  GNAT now gives the casual user a very
high quality product at nil price.  But if reasonably priced,
supported, complete (incl. annexes and popular libraries) aren't
available for professional use, people will rightly question
the long-term viability of the language.
--
Adrian