* Ada job market?
@ 2004-12-13 23:08 mike
From: mike @ 2004-12-13 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Just a general question, how is the market for ada programmers?   Are
veterans programmers able to move over to ada?
Thanks,
Mike

* Re: Ada job market?
@ 2004-12-14  2:51 ` Jeff C r e e.m
From: Jeff C r e e.m @ 2004-12-14  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

"mike" <mikeekim@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Just a general question, how is the market for ada programmers?   Are
> veterans programmers able to move over to ada?
> Thanks,
> Mike
The answer to both questions is that it depends where you are. The job sites
are not the best gauge since
some companies don't include it as a requirement in the listing (they assume
no one has experience)....

As near as I can tell half the places doing embedded work put XP/Visual C++
in their ads just because they think
that is what people want to see.

* Re: Ada job market?
@ 2004-12-14  8:23 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-12-14  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

mike wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just a general question, how is the market for ada programmers?   Are
> veterans programmers able to move over to ada?

I have seen lot's of offerings in the UK (http://www.theitjobboard.com).
While I don't mind moving to the UK, and don't mind working in defence -
90% of them need security clearance. Well I am german so my chances are
pretty slim here.

With Regards

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: Ada job market?
@ 2004-12-14  9:59   ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-12-14  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik wrote:
> mike wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Just a general question, how is the market for ada programmers?   Are
>> veterans programmers able to move over to ada?
>
> I have seen lot's of offerings in the UK
> (http://www.theitjobboard.com). While I don't mind moving to the UK,
> and don't mind working in defence - 90% of them need security
> clearance. Well I am german so my chances are pretty slim here.

Not at all! You might be barred from some jobs but I don't see much of a
problem working on loads of things, e.g. Eurofighter Typhoon.

* Re: Ada job market?
@ 2004-12-14 14:07   ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2004-12-14 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 02:51:11 +0000, Jeff C r e e.m wrote:

> "mike" <mikeekim@optonline.net> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Just a general question, how is the market for ada programmers?   Are
>> veterans programmers able to move over to ada?
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
> The answer to both questions is that it depends where you are. The job sites
> are not the best gauge since
> some companies don't include it as a requirement in the listing (they assume
> no one has experience)....

Well, I've seen one which is for a *Junior* programmer, they list the
Ada83 as a requirement as well as having security clearance AND experience
of Rational Apex. That makes me think they're not looking for a junior at
all. A junior (to me) would be someone with no experience, who can get SC
and can learn Apex/Ada83 (who uses 83 anyway?)

> As near as I can tell half the places doing embedded work put XP/Visual C++
> in their ads just because they think
> that is what people want to see.

Why put it there then? Surely they're not doing their jobs properly by
putting that? But it's not like you can find jobs anywhere else because
all programming jobs are through agencies, FFS. Agencies are a joke!

Luke.

* Re: Ada job market?
@ 2004-12-14 14:50     ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-12-14 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luke A. Guest wrote:
> Well, I've seen one which is for a *Junior* programmer, they list the
> Ada83 as a requirement as well as having security clearance AND
> experience of Rational Apex. That makes me think they're not looking
> for a junior at all. A junior (to me) would be someone with no
> experience, who can get SC and can learn Apex/Ada83 (who uses 83
> anyway?)

Lots of projects!!!

* Re: Ada job market?
@ 2004-12-14 16:03       ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2004-12-14 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:50:26 +0000, Martin Dowie wrote:

> Luke A. Guest wrote:
>> Well, I've seen one which is for a *Junior* programmer, they list the
>> Ada83 as a requirement as well as having security clearance AND
>> experience of Rational Apex. That makes me think they're not looking
>> for a junior at all. A junior (to me) would be someone with no
>> experience, who can get SC and can learn Apex/Ada83 (who uses 83
>> anyway?)
>
> Lots of projects!!!

What was the point of Ada95 then? ;-)

Luke.

* Re: Ada job market?
@ 2004-12-14 17:03         ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-12-14 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luke A. Guest wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:50:26 +0000, Martin Dowie wrote:
>

>>Luke A. Guest wrote:
>>
>>>Well, I've seen one which is for a *Junior* programmer, they list the
>>>Ada83 as a requirement as well as having security clearance AND
>>>experience of Rational Apex. That makes me think they're not looking
>>>for a junior at all. A junior (to me) would be someone with no
>>>experience, who can get SC and can learn Apex/Ada83 (who uses 83
>>>anyway?)
>>
>>Lots of projects!!!
>

> What was the point of Ada95 then? ;-)

Lot of _new_ projects!!! ;-)

* Re: Ada job market?
@ 2004-12-14 17:35           ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2004-12-14 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:03:53 +0000, Martin Dowie wrote:

> Luke A. Guest wrote:

>>>Lots of projects!!!
>>

>> What was the point of Ada95 then? ;-)
>
> Lot of _new_ projects!!! ;-)