From: "J Cusick" <Joe@Smoke.not>
Subject: GtkAda / Ada Newbie Question
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:11:56 -0500
Date: 2003-11-11T18:11:56-05:00	[thread overview]

I'm new to both Ada and GtkAda and have a question regarding my first
basic hello world program.

These are the lines in question:

procedure Simple is
   S_Window : Gtk.Window;
   S_Button : Gtk.Button;

and this is the error I get when attempting gnatmake:

simple.adb:8:18: subtype mark required in this context simple.adb:8:18:
found "Window" declared at gtk-window.ads:59 simple.adb:9:18: subtype mark
required in this context simple.adb:9:18: found "Button" declared at
gtk-button.ads:41

This is of course followed by subsequent errors along the lines of:

simple.adb:28:07: must be an access-to-object type

every place that S_Window or S_Button shows up.

I have absolutely no clue what this error is telling me. What is a
"subtype mark" and how do I supply one?

As I have mentioned, I'm just starting to climb the learning curve for
both Ada and GtkAda, so any help or pointers are greatly
appreciated.Thanks for any answers regarding this question.

Regards,

John C.