From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@mail.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re: Virus Resistive Software
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:56:22 -0600
Date: 2003-08-27T23:56:22-06:00	[thread overview]

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:34:55 -0700, Robert C. Leif wrote:

> It appears from the latest news reports, that present commercial
> software, particularly email programs, is susceptible to attack by
> viruses. A question with a very big payoff is could software written in
> Ada and perhaps in part in XML be made significantly more virus
> resistant than present commercial software, such as MicrosoftR OutlookR?
> For instance, would the strong type checking of both Ada and XML schema
> help. As a point of information, it is possible to create XML schemas
> that are semantically very similar to Ada type and object declarations.
> Would the use of an Ada protected type with a single entry for reading
> addresses in a user's phone book be of any help?

One of the most prevalent problems is with the software's design rather
than with its implementation.  I.e., if your e-mail client will execute
attachments at the click of a cl00bie, there isn't going to be any
salvation found in an Ada/XML implementation.

> xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word"
> xmlns:st1="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
> xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
>
> <head>

Speaking of bad software design, you posted 810 lines to convey 13 lines
of content.  You might want to consider switching to a Usenet-friendly
newsreader.

--
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas